TFO BVK

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Brian Miller, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    Forgive me if there have been any previous threads on this. I've done WFF searches [BVK] ["TFO BVK"] and get no hits.

I am interested in a TFO BVK 9' (possibly 9'6") 7 or maybe a 9' 8 weight rod. Any overall opinions from owners?
    What do you use it for?
    Versatility (or compromise) - is it possible one rod does well as a beach rod for Pinks/Coho/SRC and for Silvers/Pinks/Steelhead, etc in rivers?
    About 50% of the southern striper guys say they overline it. What lines do you use with it, and for what?
    How about a specific reel (that I can look up the weight) that balances well with the rod?

Thanks in advance!

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Brian from what I understand that's a brand new series of rods. Spoke with Dick Sagara about them. So wonder if those striper guys know the east coast rep and got their hands on some demos. They are nice rods. Really light (10wt I played with felt like a 7wt). I bet they would make phenominal SRC rods.

3. Brian Miller

Media:
    The BVK placed mid pack in the Yellowstone 2011 5-weight shootout, and overlining was mentioned as a good option for that rod. However there could be vast differences between a 5 weight and 7 or 8 weights, as mentioned by this Aussi's BVK review of the 8 and 9 weights. So I'm interested in opines from the WFF community about the rod I would be interested in for the types of fishing I would use it for. BTW a super bonus (ding ding ding ding) would be if that one (7 wt?) rod would also be suitable for (Hawaiian) Bones.

4. Runejl

Runejl Josh

Media:
    I bought an 8 weight BVK for a recent trip to Belize. I really enjoyed the way it fished with a RIO bonefish taper 8 weight line. I have yet to cast other lines on it.

5. Brian Miller

Media:
    All right, a taker! The BVK 7 and 8 wt rods weigh the virtually same. What reel do you use with it? Does the rig balance well?

6. DennisV

DennisV Member

I have the 8wt and 10wt BVKs and currently have them lined with RIO 26' DC Striper lines in 350 and 450grain wts. I love these rods. Very light and easy on the wrist and elbow. Yet has enough grunt to throw the whole line with a bit of tailwind.

My first 8wt had the early version REC wire stripping guides and they buzzed when you shot the line. That just drove me nuts. I hated that. The guys at TFO told me to send it back and they replaced it with a new model with "Tactical guides".

Awesome customer service at TFO.

I think all the new rods have the Tactical guides but I would make sure it didn't have the REC's before I ordered.

The southern striper guy are fishing sinking lines most of the time and it very common to upline 1 or 2 sizes on a sinker. 28' of T-14 is a common 8wt rig. If they are throwing topwater, it usually big air resistant flies and they may go up to 9 or 10wt rods uplined by one.

There is no doubt that an 8wt BVK will cast an 8wt floater very well with a moderate sized fly.

I just bought a 10wt Airflo Ridge clear tip floater for the 10wt BVK. Have not fished it but I've lawn cast it, and it works very well.

7. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    I have been very happy with my BVK's. I use a 691 for my SRC beach fishing after I broke my Hydros again (finally sent it in to get repaired, so I can do a comparison when it comes back). Used it all summer and I love it with Outbound shorts. I also picked up an 8 wt and it likes 300 grain RIOMAX II shooting heads. I haven't tested the 8 on anything besides pinks in the salt and a couple chum, but its light and got a lot of back bone.

Neither rods have the REC strippers. I think they're a pretty good deal for $250.