TFO Spey Rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by CaddisHatch15, Mar 31, 2008.

1. CaddisHatch15

CaddisHatch15 Member

Media:
    Just a few questions I had about some spey rods:

I'm in the market for a new spey rod, and I'm looking into TFO. I have resarched them a bit, and I was wondering if anyone had any info, experience, etc.. about any of TFO's spey rods. I am from Bozeman, MT, but will do quite a bit of fishing out in SW Washington, and possibly Alaska and Canada. I am debating on the 13'0" 7/8 wt. Deer creek rod, and the 13'3 and 12'6" two-handed rods. Has anyone used any of these rods, and how did you guys like them?

Also, what would be a setup with those rods, line, reel, etc... Thank you guys!

Donny

2. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    The Deer Creek Series are great rods at a great price. I like them better than the other TFO two handed rods. I believe most people do. However, you may want to take some time and read what people have to say about them on previous posts in the forum, if you want to understand how they compare in design to various rods.

3. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    I have quite a bit of experience with TFO rods. I know of several people in your area swinging streamers with the 12'6"-6wt TFO Pro.

This same rod makes a great light steelie rod as well if one is looking for something in a lower price point. Coupled with a WC VersiTip 6/7/8 line and a regular arbor Tioga 10 you can have a very nice setup for the budget minded angler.

The 13'3" has a more traditional action then the rest of the TFO Profeesional lineup. I like a 7/8 Delta on this rod but I think most people would like the 8/9. The Compact Skagit in 540 should also work well.

The Deer Creek 13'7/8 is a really great rod. A crisp powerful action that is light in the hand. It is a much nicer rod then it's low price would suggest. Here are some line recommendations for the 7/8 Deer Creek.

Skagit: 500/550 with tips to 200 grains
    Rio Skagit 500/550, Airflo Skagit 7/8

Short Belly Spey with tips:
    Airflo Delta Spey 7/8

Mid Length Spey with tips:
    Airflo 7/8 Delta Long , Rio Power Spey 7/8, CND GP 7/8 or 8/9 for deep loading

Scandi:
    450 to 500 grains <> Head length 32 to 34 feet

You should visit your local TFO dealer and take a test drive on your water.

4. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Media:
    I own the 13'3" TFO Prof. and love it. I have fairly limited spey experience, but I've cast a decent number of rods. I this rod feels great to me, even compared to much more expensive rods.

Now, I got to cast the Deer Creek 7/8 (or maybe the 8/9) and like it even better! I loved the narrow grip, it looks great, and I couldn't believe how well it casts!

5. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    One of those &quot;blue lines&quot; in the WA, MT,
    I have the 13' 7/8 Deer Creek rod and love it! Just spent a few days fishing it on the Hoh river with my 500 gr SA Skagit multi tip line. It casts great and I would highly recommend this line for this rod. It also casts very nicely on my 12'6" Rainshadow!

I can highly recommend the Deer Creek series having cast them all. The 13' is one of the best in the line of rods in my opinion. I don't know the other TFO Spey rods, but have cast a few.

Hope that helps, but make sure to run a search as these rods have been discussed before.

Good luck!
    Bill :cool:

6. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    i have thrown most of the TFO speys and would recommend the 13' 7/8 Deer Creek for what your looking to do. i lined up a buddy of mines with a 500 gr. skagit, 10+ feet of t whatever and it was sweet. i would also think about looking for the new dec hogan speys when they are out. I threw mulligans 13'3" 8 pro series and was impressed, definitely a fun skagit stick. I dont think you can go wrong, but would definitely recommend the deer creeks, as long as you get the right line for your stroke you'll be happy.

7. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Check out the Dec Hogan speys and anything else in the echo line. For a similar price to tfo they are some mean casting sticks. I have both and fish the echo classic over my tfo.

8. fullerfly

fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Media:
    I threw the TFO 13' 7/8 on the Skagit with Mike...I believe he had an Airflow Skagit 550 (not for surtain) cut back slightly...The thing sailed better than most other rods I have casted. Balance perfectly w/that line. PM Mike to get the line specs or any other info on the rod. They are by far the most energy efficient rods on the open market (Low effort.....High Return).

9. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'll give another toot to the TFO Deer Creek 7/8.

I have a Skagit setup with a 530 grain CND head, Airflo ridge line runner, and rio tips. Super easy to cast and great for dredging up cold fishies with big flies.

I also use the CND GPS 7/8, when I am casting correctly I love this set up when I am not casting correctly the CND is not nearly as forgiving as the Airflo Delta.

Also for my own personal amusement I got the Deer Creek 15' 8/9 for Christmas this year and if the 7/8 is a cannon the 15' 8/9 is a Howitzer :).

10. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    These line recommendations work well on Deer Creek rods:

12'6"-5/6/7
    Skagit: 400/450 with tips to 150 grains
    Rio Skagit 400/450, Airflo Skagit 6/7

Airflo Delta Spey 6/7, CND GP 5/6 or 6/7 for deep loading, Rio Power Spey 5/6 or 6/7 for deep loading

Scandi:
    350 to 400 grains <> Head length 30 to 32 feet
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    13'0"-7/8
    Skagit: 500/550 with tips to 200 grains
    Rio Skagit 500/550, Airflo Skagit 7/8

Airflo Delta Spey 7/8

Mid Length Spey with tips:
    Airflo 7/8 Delta Long , Rio Power Spey 7/8, CND GP 7/8 or 8/9 for deep loading

Scandi:
    450 to 500 grains <> Head length 32 to 34 feet
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    13'6"-8/9
    Skagit: 600/650 with tips to 250 grains
    Rio Skagit 600/650, Airflo Skagit 8/9

Short belly Spey with tips:
    Airflo 8/9

Mid to Long Belly Spey with tips:
    Airflo Delta Long 8/9, CND GP 8/9 or 9/10 for deep loading, Rio Power Spey for 8/9 or 9/10 for deep loading

Scandi:
    500 to 550 grains <> Head length 34 to 36 feet
    14'0"-9/10
    Skagit: 650/750 with tips 250 grains plus
    Rio: 650/750, Airflo 9/10

Short Belly Speys with tips:
    Airflo 9/10

Mid to Long Belly Speys with tips:
    Airflo Delta Long 9/10, CND GP 9/10 or 10/11 for deep loading, Rio Power Spey 9/10 or 10/11 for deep loading

Scandi:
    600 to 650 <> Head length 36 to 38 feet
    15'0"-8/9
    Skagit: 550 to 600 with tips to 200 grains
    Rio Skagit 550/600, Airflo Skagit 7/8

Short Belly Speys with tips:
    Airflo 8/9 or 9/10 for deep loading

Mid to Long Belly Spey Lines with tips:
    Airflo Delta Long 8/9 or 9/10 for deep loading, CND GP 8/9 or 9/10 for deep loading
    Rio Power Spey 8/9 or 9/10 for deep loading

Scandi:
    500 to 550 <> Head length 38 to 40 feet

11. FT

FT Active Member

The TFO Deer Creel Series rods are among the best values in 2-handers on the market. They are designed by custom rod designer and builder Robert Meiser (one of the best in the business) with input from well-known, long-time Washington State steelhead fly fishing guide Mike Kinney. In my opinion, unless someone is a very good spey caster, he would not notice the difference in performance between the songle modulus Deer Creek rods and Meiser's custom rods built on his proprietary multi-modulus blanks.

The ECHO Dec Hogan rods are also among the great values in 2-handed rods. They were designed by Tim Rajeff (brother of Steve Rajeff of G. Loomis) with input from well-kown, former steelhead fly fishing guide Dec Hogan. They have a more flexible tip than the TFO Deer Creeks, so they feel different than the stiffer tipped Deer Creeks.

Both the Deer Creeks and the new Dec Hogan rods are very capable rods, they just feel different when cast because of the difference in tip stiffness. You really need to cast both the Dec Hogan ECHO and the TFO Deer Creek in the same line weight and length to decide which is better suited to you.