TFO STEPPING UP ITS GAME AND PRICES

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Porter, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Interesting. I've never heard of the blue printing process. I'm curious as to how they eliminate the "high and low" energy spots along the blank. Actually I'm not sure I even know what an energy spot is?

That said, I've built a couple of rods on their Finesse blanks and am very happy with their moderate action.

2. I'm also not sure how a graphite cylinder can have high and low energy spots.

3. Well...that's the biggest load of fertilizer I've come across in rod marketing yet.

...and they were doing so well too...

Porter likes this.
  4. I could see how it might, and I can only sorta see how you could measure that, but I definitely can't see how you'd "tune" it.

5. I am sure that they would bend the rod to varying degrees and the rub a weight forward fly line across it and measure the frequency of the sound it makes. This would not be too different from playing a saw in a bluegrass band. I can see a future of music groups playing 2 through 8 weight rods in a ensemble.:oops:
    jesse

6. I guess they try and get it as close to spec as possible. Maybe the pieces get lathed to spec before painting?

7. That doesn't seem like a bad price at all but what all will that custom for you? But it seems like a really good deal compared to some of the higher end rod's that are not even custom made.

8. Custom, but still largely made in China (except for the finishing) for $500+? No thanks.

Patrick Gould and Krusty like this.
  9. Well...that's it...no wonder I'm not catching fish the way I oughta....and can't make those 70' casts either; my rods aren't blue printed.

Nick Clayton and Patrick Gould like this.
  10. There's an old saying in the biker world...if it says 'custom', it ain't. Harley Davidson does something similar with its CVO (Custom Vehicle Operation)....where you pay a shitload for a 'custom' bike (at least until you see another one just like it, anyway).

11. Ron McNeal likes this.
  12. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the TFO rods were made in Korea?

13. Color me skeptical. Although I'm not a materials engineer, this reads like the biggest load of fly rod hype since Orvis claimed to use nuclear submarine technology in the production of their graphite rods a couple decades ago. I want to see TFO's engineering report that details how they "blueprint" and measure the energy inch by inch along rod blanks. Meanwhile, I call bull pucky.

Sg

14. Maybe so. Same thing: They are still made overseas in mass production plants by people who almost certainly don't fish. Note that this is NOT a rant against "da-gum ferners". I just like my rods made lovingly by people who fish.

WonkyWapiti likes this.
  15. I have 7 TFO flyrods , 3 of their Gary Loomis travel spinning sticks and a travel casting rod. I like all of them, as they are a tremendous value. But when things start edging up over $500 per stick, my gut tells me most people are thinking words like "Sage" instead of TFO. Time will tell how it works for them.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  16. Have you seen the TiCrX conversion kits that TFO makes? Turn your single handed rod into a two handed rod. TFO is the only one Ive seen do this. Seems like a good idea, but who knows how well they work.

17. I wholeheartedly agree with you and never took your post as a rant. I personally would rather spend a little extra for something made in America, as long as it is a quality product, to help out our own economy and keep jobs here.

18. They also do it with the 9' single hander and turn it in to a nymph 10'6" (think that is the length).