TFO TiCr X vs. BVK

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dipnet, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

So for those who've had the opportunity to cast both in an 8 wt.:

What's the difference?

Pretty much same pricing but I can't quite figure out the model differences.

I'm looking for a rod to use for Puget Sound salmon this summer.

2. Preston

Preston Active Member

The TiCrX is much stiffer than the BVK, I have fished both and much prefer the BVK. So much of one's rod preference depends on what one feels comfortable with; I've never cared for extremely fast rods have never felt they offered me any distinct advantage, so take my remarks with the appropriate quantity of salt.

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Tim,
    Don't you have a 6 wt Predator? If you are thinking salt salmon, why not use that?
    It will let the fish show off their stuff and while easily handle just about anything you hook up with besides the odd king or chums.
    SF

4. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Yeah, I have the Predator which I like a lot.

I will be traveling to Hawaii in September and was thinkin' of taking a fly rod along. From what I've read I might be a little under-gunned with my 6 wt. for reef fishing. I was also thinking about using an 8 wt. for fishing silvers up here on the KP this summer. I could also use it for fall chum at my favorite little spot just 5 minutes from the house.

And thanks, Preston, for your input. I picked up both a TiCrX and BVK and waved them around a bit yesterday. I did like the feel of the BVK a bit better but of course that's simply playing with a rod on the sales floor.

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    IMO opinion, the TICRX makes a great beach stick. I had one for a long time. Would throw an Outbound a country mile. I had a 10' 4 wt BVK that while a great rod as well was a totally different animal. Nowhere near as fast. Perso al preference I guess