Thanks for the new sub-forum Chris!

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by bitterroot, Oct 30, 2010.

1. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +214 / 1
    I recently started a group dedicated to bamboo and it was met with so much interest that I asked Chris if this would be an appropriate category to add to the forum. Here's your answer!
    Thanks for the new sub-forum Chris!

Hey everybody from the bamboo group.....throw up a post here in the new sub-forum!
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Cool Chris. I'm a newbie to both bamboo and glass but Bitterroot won't fish with me if I don't have some glass or bamboo in my hand.
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    Only thing I use bamboo for is for rolling sushi. So this will probably be my only post here.

Consider yourselves lucky.
  4. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +660 / 5
    Only pussies use or own bamboo and or glass rods...........ummmmmmm......I'm a pussy! Wooohooooo!

Great subforum. I'm known to have a glass rod or two.......hundred.
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Jerry, post the photos...the stacks and stacks of fenwicks...
  6. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +295 / 0
    Just moved over some old threads to help things out.

Regards,
    Chris
  7. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    'Huge' enclave of 'Boo' enthusiasts here in Southern Oregon; darned near a 'cult' thing. Looking forward to reading the posting on glass rods; I'd love to get my hands on some "S-Glass" sticks. Only one left, but I'd drop the dime in a heart beat to get a few of those rods back in the 'quiver.'

fae
  8. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    What are you talking about? I don't have very many glass rods Ed ;)

[IMG]
  9. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +847 / 1
  10. 950 New Member

Redmond, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am a new guy to the forum and looking foward to the information.
  11. Cti111 Member

Sammamish,Wa
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Nice stick Derek! Have you had a chance to fish it much? I've been mainly fishing glass & boo for the last 18 months & using the graphite less & less. Looking forward to this new sub forum!
  12. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    All I can say is WOW!!!!! now I won't feel so out of place reading or posting on my local state flyfishing board... especially since all I have is glass and grass!!!
  13. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +847 / 1
    Yeah, I've fished the Champion several times, it's a great rod and honestly, perfect for slowing down my casts. A good teaching tool and fun to use.
  14. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Just thought I'd post this one up of one of my old Fenwicks in action. Off a little stream I know that's never fished, but gets a nice run of pinks. :)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  15. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    Beautiful Jerry, just beautiful!!!!
  16. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +342 / 0
    Cool old glass Fenwick and vintage reel Jerry. You really should update those wading boots though!

My son (bless his heart) slammed the door on my 4 piece Fenwick pack rod I bought in 1968 (or was it '67?) a couple years ago. He felt horrible about it. It gave me an excuse to go buy another bamboo rod though, so it wasn't so bad.

Great shots of your gear and the pinks!
  17. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +72 / 3
    I love Fenwicks! My first good fly rod was an 8' 8wt. that I used for everything from lake fishing to trolling flies for Silvers off Neah Bay. This was back in the 1960's.

Fenwicks were designed by NW Washington guys for local fishing. After the Company was sold, rod designer Don Green helped found Sage. So, just like with bamboo rods, the rodmaker makes a big difference! There's a good history of these rods on Fenwick's web site. http://www.fenwickfishing.com/about_history.php

Tom
  18. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Redmond, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    Thanks Chris!, this should be fun.

Mike
  19. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    calling all the soft stickers?! Wow... this is awesome!! great idea! bitterroot
    thanks chris!
  20. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +497 / 2
    I agree, good move on the subforum. Never cast a bamboo rod, but a big fan of 'glass for my light rods.