The 2005 pink run is over

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Matt Burke, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    At least in the salt. That little bit of rain gave them a scent of the rivers and boom, they were gone and I ain't gonna fight the spider wire and pink lead upstream. Weekend reports for the beach were so so, this morning totally sucked. I’m sure there will be sporadic pods come through for a day or two, but for the most part it’s over. No more limits in 20 minutes, that is for sure. I have to admit, that was some crazy stuff out there while it was hot. I had well over 25 to hand, unknown amount LDR’d.

It was great meeting a lot of people from the site. It was a great reminder on how to keep fish while barbless. And this year I found out they taste great fresh out of the salt. I’m still not touching them nasty bastards in the river though.

The only downside this year was that it felt odd not hearing Oldman bitch while chasing the Pinks. Alas, I‘ll have to wait another two years.

Any other thoughts on things learned, numbers, successes, etc?

2. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    As a novice fly tier, there is nothing like catching Pinks on your own hand tied flies to give you confidence to tie all your own.

Of course pinks are not much of a critic, and they will hit anything pink, but that's beside the point. Or maybe it is the point: most of the time it is a matter of being in the right place and time, and putting something in front of them that's reasonably close to what they expect to see.

3. Guillaume

Guillaume New Member

Damn ,already...
    When will the optimum time for silvers be? Mid-Month?

4. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    its pretty damn good right now for silvers.

5. MauiJim

MauiJim ka lawai'a

Media:
    I think they're gone just in time... I heard from another of the regulars at the point who knows some law enforcement guys in Snohomish that the landowners were complaining about all the cars, and there will be/are officers there in the mornings potentially ticketing people for criminal tresspass if they're in the park before it opens. It was only a matter of time...

So if you're still going to try for pinks there, make sure to wait until the gate is open, or wear full seaweed camo and blend in with the shoreline! j/k

It was great meeting all of you down there, though, including seeing the Seattle Fly Fishers group working their magic... 'good fun!'

6. billylee

billylee New Member

Media:
    Anyone know if the hood canal runs are done? I haven't had a chance to get out there yet?

7. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Media:
    There were sure a lot of boats all the way from eldon to hoodsport! Dont know what they were fishing for, my guess would be pinks though, maybe silvers.

8. steveb

steveb Captain Nemo

It was great meeting so many people from the board the past few days. A particular thanks to MauiJim for being the ambassador of introductions! Let's find fish again! THX! :beer2:

9. Benn

Benn Member

I fished Hood Canal beaches pretty hard this weekend. Lots of boats in the southern canal below where it is open for salmon. There were no pinks (or silvers or SRC for that matter) in abundance. I fished several beaches that have been consistent SRC producers and I got nothing. I didn't see hardly any bait either.

My 'rents have a place on a small river that two years ago was full of pinks. I saw two fish in the river this weekend. There were some pretty good floods in October in '03 and my guess is that the wild hood canal pink run is going to be thin this year. Plus, surface temps in the canal still seem really warm. My theory is that the warm temps and the smaller run are conspiring to keeping fish from the shallows. Hopefully that will change with some cooler weather. I would appreciate any Hood Canal reports to the contrary.

10. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    Salt Dog,
    I noticed the same thing. I went out this last Sunday in the morning for a few hours and it was the first time I have been skunked. Went out again this morning with similar results. A few hits, but nothing like it was last week and the weeks before. Damn! Well, bring on the silvers!

11. Luke Filmer

Luke Filmer Member

Media:
    Hit my beach this a.m. and found it was filled with herring. The whole shoreline was boiling with bait!
    The water was clear of salad, and looked awesome!
    They looked to be pretty big, about 5" or so, and I tried for an hour to hook something, and got no love.
    Slack low did not help, but with all those herring I was surprised that I only spotted one coho tearing through them. I guess with so many to choose from my fly did not stand out?
    I thought I would buzz down to doc's, and see if I could do any better.
    Arrived at the beach, and strolled down and bumped into a guy who was casting herring out, and he had retained a pink, and a healthy res.coho in his napsack. -To each his own ;) .
    Walked down further , and met a gal fly-fishing who had been there since 8:00 a.m. and she said she hooked a pink, a small king, and a few small coho's. It was about 11:30 so she worked for 3.5 hours for them.
    Fall silvers any day now!!!!

12. Jefe Oso

Jefe Oso Guest

Gone?! My dad and I landed several this morning in the mid-sound.

:thumb: