The Anything-But-Yarnies Thread

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jason Rolfe, Dec 21, 2013.

1. fish-on Waters haunt me....

camano island
    Ratings: +30 / 0

Looks good to me
  2. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    I thought the ultimate fly was made of reverse wound Labrador duck and Spectacled Cormorant flanks, with a Guadalupe Petrel hackle.. Fish can't leave that thing alone.. Only thing better is Archeopteryx..
    Keith Hixson likes this.
  3. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +54 / 0
  4. Keith Hixson Active Member

I'm ready for steelhead. Tie these in Orange, Black, Brown, Purple, Olive, and the Cinnamon. They work. :D
    jake-e-boy likes this.
  5. jake-e-boy Active Member

Kennewick
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    I am as well, good sir
    Keith Hixson likes this.
  6. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +467 / 1
    Did a lot of wrappin' in South America the last couple months. Mostly sparse-n-wiggly rhea creatures I've been fishin the last couple years. Also some bunny leeches and a bunch of Neil's scandiball.

The rhea bug (aka Beyoncé, junkyard jb, daddies new tux, etc) is as follows:

Tube or 25mm waddington shank
    Tinsel or similar low bulk body wrapped forward
    .035" lead wire wrapped under dubbing bump
    Artic Fox spun in a loop for a prop
    Sparse layer of flash (maybe 20 pcs total)
    Rhea Feather split and hackled... 3 turns
    Marabou Feather tied in by stem and palmered... 3 turns
    Add Amherst, Grizz Hackle, rubber legs if desired
    Finish with 2-3 turns of stripped guinea, or any hackle of your choice
    JC eyes if desired.

The less materials the more it breathes, casts, sinks and catches fish.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  7. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0

The fact that it's called "aka Beyonce" is enough to make me want to fish it.
    jake-e-boy likes this.
  8. jake-e-boy Active Member

Kennewick
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    fished the daddy's new tux aka beyonce these past two weekends, like Sean said above, the lack of material really makes it that much more fishy, the under water profile is huge for how much material is used and supa "squidy"
    Jason Rolfe likes this.
  9. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Daddies new tux is Neil's version... Sans rhea and he "wings" his flash while I tie my tubes "in the round." Same principle tho. Naming flies is kind of an evolving joke between friends. Neil is the king of naming flies, runs, boats, random characters on the river etc.

But yeah, I got nothing that hasn't been done a million times before, but they are fun to tie, look at and fish well and I'd like to think they work well.
    shotgunner and jake-e-boy like this.
  10. Andy D Member

Des Moines, Wa
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Those are some some sweet looking ties.
  11. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    I've found lately that whether or not I tie a fly seems to depend just as much on how I think it looks as it does on how I think a steelhead will think it looks. If I see a fly that looks good, that has that certain sexiness to it, I'll more than likely try to tie it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
  12. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    "Elway"
    [IMG]

If I fished with tips, I'd lose the eyes. Haven't really tested it other than to see how it "swims", and it does that very well...
    Jonathan Stumpf and jake-e-boy like this.
  13. Tom Palmer Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    tube_fly.jpg fish_view.jpg squid.jpg
    I think it's tough to beat rabbit strips for winter fish but as a fly tier it's fun to mess around... I also find unweighted flies like fish tacos to be essential for soft seams, tailouts etc..
  14. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    This kinda stuff in TIP season

Attached Files:

Sean Beauchamp likes this.
  15. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Pretty tasty looking flies. I like the color combos!
  16. Keith Hixson Active Member

Presentation is very important in fly fishing. We all have our favorite flies but more important than the fly is getting the fly to the fish in an appropriate manner. If you are using the old conventional, newer marabou, or yarnies if you don't have presentation you won't catch fish. Learning presentation with steelhead is the learning curve for all of us with steelhead. I think we put too much emphasis on the fly when it should be on presentation, presentation.
    Sean Beauchamp and Salmo_g like this.
  17. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    I agree! I would also say the build of the fly also becomes part of the presentation. Meaning I have sparse heavy flies tied to drop into small short slots I know to hold steelhead. It makes it easier to show the fish my fly in a manner in which they will eat. On the other end I have flies tied on weightless plastic tubes meant for short casts with short light sink tips in cold colored water way way "inside" where I know steelhead will rest or travel at the given flow. Those buoyant flies stay outta the rocks in the frog water and also help make the presentation happen. I also agree some players will literally eat anything. But just as pluggers have lucky tadpollies and drifters secret Okies and special cured roe, I like to believe for whatever reason that maybe a certain fly will work some sort of magic on those fish that are on the fence. And I think some of the great local anglers and tiers that came before us may have believed the same thing. It's fun to believe anyways. But I do agree.
    Nooksack Mac likes this.
  18. Darthmonkey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    ^This. Holy carrot crunching christ, THIS!!! Dude speaks the truf. Less materials, but still holds a wicked profile with long slender feelers hanging out back there. I remember the first time I saw a fly in the water tied like that and it blew my mind. Then my whole program was fucked up when Norwegian dude got bit three times fishing a run in front of me. He was fishing this tube that he called a temple dog, I'll never be the same after seeing it in the water.
  19. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    I honestly don't tie as complex as I used to. I can get what I need with marabou, schlappen, hackles, chenille, fur, copper wire, and iron.

I find my trouble with complex ties is I hate losing them and I don't catch more fish with them. I do many of the complex builds for stinger hook, or size, but the details are just the classic sources. I like flies I can tie on and go, tubes are too much complexity.

I tie big yet sparse which takes some experience but is the best way to go! Skagit Minnow type and anything like that is all I need. And maybe a heavy egg sucking leech.
  20. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +743 / 0