The Anything-But-Yarnies Thread

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jason Rolfe, Dec 21, 2013.

1. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Feels like a PhD in wing construction.

Jason Rolfe likes this.
  2. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Tried my hand at some of these scandiballs (sans JC). Think I may have tied a couple of them a bit too thick though. Nonetheless a fun tie and I can't wait to try them out tomorrow and see how they look in the river.

First time tying with tubes though and I was wondering something. How does one decide whether to use the wider versus the thinner diameter tubing?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

3. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

those look sweet

4. Jamie Wilson

Is the temple dog a style of fly - kind of like where the Intruder is heading??

5. Jamie Wilson

Also - what keeps the temple dog from fouling?

6. Darthmonkey

Darthmonkey Active Member

I don't think so. The main goal when tying an intruder is to create a large silhouette without using a lot of materials and yet still maintain a "buggy" look to it. Lately a lot of folks just take a bunch of marabou or rhea and mash it on a shank, but when it swims it doesn't hold a profile and generally fails at being an intruder.
    The Temple Dog is a hairwing that grew too big for normal hooks. Honestly, if you just take a piece of arctic fox and mash it on a tube swing it through some choice water you'll get some follows. So when you have this four inch long piece of temple dog swimming through there with some goodies attached, it will generate some curiosity/anger from fish.
    What keeps the TD from fouling? The same thing that keeps the intruder from fouling.
    A. Make good casts
    B. Visualize the fly and how it is swimming through the swing making adjustments
    C. Periodically bring the fly in to check on it

Jamie Wilson likes this.
  7. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

No shit. Some of my prettiest (on the bench), early intruders immediately turned into technicolor noodles when swung. FAIL. But my underwing lessons I learned have been fruitful.

Jamie Wilson likes this.
  8. PT

PT Physhicist

bump