The Beaconsfield 2/0 (Hardy)

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by S Fontinalis, Aug 20, 2012.

1. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

Media:
    Worked again from the image in Frodin's book, pushing my limits with this multiple butted and flossed fly.
    The manes were also something new to me.

Overall, generally happy, however, the whole thing needs a rightward shift on the hook - started the tip too far back and as a result everything is out of whack.

I whole gutted it, separating the strands of gut and clipping them to different lengths, and this may have been my downfall in terms of the position of the tip. Stilll, a lesson learned.

The pattern is pretty much as described by Hardy, except subbed red goose for the tail veiling, had no claret floss so used wine, and there is no light mottled turkey in the wing as i didnt have any long enough to fit.

Tail is probably too long/high, another consequence of the position of the tip and the gut tie in. I guess if i'd moved it forward i could have used smaller tippets and had a lower set wing as well as the tail.
    I actually prepped most of the materials once i had the tip and tag tied, so i deliberately picked a bigger tippet.

Now i know what i'm looking at when i see everything out of whack, it wont happen again.

Also included an image of my nice and tidy tying area...the vise with the fly in it is my old one i use for photographs. The new atlas is the machine of choice now!

Thanks for checking in, and any further comments of critique are most welcome!

Eunan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Looks good Eunan, as I'm sure you've already discovered the larger the hook size the easier it is to get proportions more accurate including head size, they just always look better, but unfortunately it's harder to find good feathers for. I always had more problems on smaller size hooks (smaller than 3/0), but it's much less expensive and easier to find
    materials for and is the best place to start. Keep them coming...
    Mark