The best day

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Kaari White, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    It's the day before the opening of pheasant season on the east side. For me, this is the best day of the year. I love the anticipation and preparation that goes along with it.

This morning I got out my orange hunting vest. My lab Cooper immediately stuck his head in the game bag, stirring up all the old smells. He won't leave my side now, convinced I might somehow leave him behind.

I've hunted this year already, but for me it's not hunting season until pheasant season opens. I can't wait until that first rooster flushes in the morning!!

Good luck all :)
  2. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Me too, the excitement is building only 15+ hrs to go.
  3. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I felt the same way last saturday looking out over the palouse from my glassing spot as shooting light was about to break on opening day of deer season...i call it the magic hour.
    6:46 a.m. 10/13/07 i remember looking at my watch.
    good luck and post up some pics.
  4. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    My sons dog, Tucker from Boseman MT. with his first rooster of the season.
    Tucker only has three legs, lost the right front three years ago to a run in with a PU truck.
    Three cheers for the super dog.
  5. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    All that preparation and now opening weekend is over!

Items forgot: my upland hunting pants which made morning hunts very wet and cold in jeans. And I forgot to bring a fleece jacket which would have been nice in what seemed to be cooler than normal weather.

I shot my first pheasant 15 minutes after shooting hours began. I was walking along a green manure field when my dog flushed a bird out of the heavy cover on the edge of the field. Green manure is a plant that's 3-6', bushy and has yellow flowers. The farmers plow it under in early/mid November, but until then it's great cover for birds.

I killed one other bird on Saturday and two more on Sunday.

Bird numbers appeared to be better than last year (very bad year), but with significantly more hen sightings which is encouraging.
  6. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    we ran into a lot more birds in whitman county than we did last year. Colder weather with a little moisture on the ground made it better for my dad and I

My younger lab Dakota gave me a classic opportunity. She hit a hot sent, and I could tell the bird was a runner. I kept up with her, she drove the rooster back to me and present and EASY going away shot. I promptly gave it the two gun salute and watched it fly away.....my dad just laughted

We bagged 4 roosters and a hun (which came from a flock of somewhere near 13 birds), and had a great day....didnt even get to hunt the prime cover because it was opening day and there were a million and one rigs out and about....but they will soon be gone leaving us with ample opportunities for roosters...

Good luck everyone this season!
  7. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +650 / 0
    After a couple weeks of practice at Western Washington release sites it felt great to hit the sage country to chase "real birds".

Hunted the public lands in the basin. Agree with what others that there were lots of hunters enjoying a day in the field. Those that I talked with seemed to have had a mix bag.

My oldest son and I spend the day behind Sauk - a 3 year old yellow lab.

FElt there were more birds than last year; maybe like 2005 though with the great improvement in Sauk's hunting skills it hard to say how much the improvement in birds seen is the result of the bird popualtion and how much due to her efficiency in finding birds.

Thought there the ratio of hens to roosters was a lot higher than recent years (a mild winter and decent spring may bode well for next season) and that a number of the roosters were very young birds (a second nesting?).

Sauk has been "resting" all day while I cleaned gear. Hope to get back over later in the week for a couple days where hopefully the crowds will be down and we can still find a bird or two.

Tight lines
    Curt
  8. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I had a pretty good opening weekend. Wanted to hunt roosters, fish the G.R. and hunt ducks... well the river got a little too high for that plan to work out, but the hunting was still good.
    Shot 3 roosters saturday by 8:30. And got my limit again on sunday but it was a little tougher. Ended up with 11 roosters for 2 of us for the weekend.
  9. myflysdown Member

Long Beach, WA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Reading the thread brought back many memories of hunts as a teen in Walla Walla. Never did use a shotgun for Pheasants, always used my Marlin 39M lever-action, in 22 Long Rifle. Head shots were the way we hunted them. No lead shot to pick out!! Still my favorite wild meat!!! VM.