The best laid plans...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Thomas Mitchell, May 25, 2009.

1. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Media:
    ...sometimes work!

Last Friday, while out introducing my 11yo son to beach fishing, I saw what looked to be a couple very large searuns boiling and feeding far off shore in a seam in the middle of some strong tidal current. I tried casting to them a few times but even when I got it out there, my intermediate tip line and light fly were immediately swept past the sweet spot. When I saw a big spotted back porpoise and thrash, I knew that I needed to adjust my tactics and return another day. I tied 3 flies special for this trip; two 4" weighted deceivers and one 'secret weapon' (not so secret really, and definitely not a marine worm imitation;)) that was also about 4" and had dumbell eyes. I like unweighted, pretty flies so this crazy thing was way outside the norm for me.

Fast forward to this AM... The tide wasn't as nice as the previous visit and the wind strength and direction made things difficult for a no-skillz caster such as myself but I gave it a go. I got there early, at almost high tide and used the lack of room as incentive to practice my poor speycasting. Normally, I would have used an 11' switch but given the conditions, I brought my 5/6 Loomis Metolius 'trout spey', a scandi head and various versaleaders. I should have brought a compact skagit as the wind was right in my face and casting was difficult. I killed time trying various casts with mixed results but was encouraged by a few nice throws. I even skated a popper for a while.

The current started picking up and the fish started showing. There were a few big searuns boiling and busting the surface in a seam on the far side of the now ripping current. I looped on an extra fast sinking versaleader and tied on the 'secret weapon'. After a couple poor efforts trying to throw that heavy abomination, I got a good cast out there, threw a big mend and began my swing. Tap, tap, BANG! and off to the races. After a good run, I put the wood to him and backed out of the current. A few minutes later, a very nice sea run cutthroat gave me the stinkeye as I maneuvered it for a quick photo. It was a beautiful green gold and very fat, obviously it'd been gorging on all the little smolts that were present. It never left the water or felt human skin, jetting away seeming none the worse for making my day.

Crappy pics below. The 'secret weapon' is about 4" long to provide some scale. I'm guessing the fish was 17-18" maybe a tad more. I had one more nice grab that I flubbed but it was a great holiday morning. Hope everyone else got some too.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Tyler Watters

Tyler Watters Stickin' pigs.

Nice Fish! I have yet to catch one bigger than my hand.

3. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    Thomas,
    That is a very, very nice sea-run cutthroat! A solid, beautiful fish -- it looks like there are a couple of sea lice on the trout's side.
    I think your post captured what is so cool about this kind of fishing. A lot of it is about solving little puzzles, trying new things and fishing like crazy!
    And your photos are far from crappy. Nice job all around!