The best little dry fly that i have ever fished

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Beachmen, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

I don't know about you but the Renegade has got to be the best old school little dry fly out there. I don't have a dry fly that catches more fish that i can fish year round. Its easy and fast to tie. Staying in the range of size 14-8 if and when I am dry fly fishing i with use this at some point in the mid day. normally i throw streamers but i always with dry a dry. i even have some with a gold bead on them because even sunk this fly works like a charm. in my box i have a total of 3 dozen of this one fly. this is a fly that i recomend for every fly fisherman's box.

Renegade.JPG View attachment 18587
    Renegade elk hair.JPG

2. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Great! You let the cat out of the bag!

3. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

hahahahaha oh come on everyone need to know this little fly. its 80+ years old and a basic for all tiers.

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

I like the one with the wing. I have trouble seeing basic renegades so even a little white antron would help.

5. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

well normally what i will do is use it as my second fly if i go to size 14-12 and use solid white hackle for the head. i do a heavy amount of hackle for my dry ones. but most of the rivers i fish are small. and im only casting about 30ft. but the one with the wing i have used when caddis are out and it works as a great back up for a dark elk hair caddis.

6. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Renegades and "sparsely" tied soft hackles...OH BABY!:D

Beachmen likes this.
  7. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

try a renegade with a bead head you might like that as well.

8. That is Brown, peacock and Grizz right?

9. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

a tag of gold tinsel, brown, peacock and white is a renegade. grizzly would make it a variant

10. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

yes that is all it is.

11. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

thats why there are two pictures. one with grizz one with white. most of the ones i tie have white.

12. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Kind of looks like the old standby the bi-visible which I tied and fished (wet and dry) 50 years ago.
    jack

13. Davy

Davy Active Member

yup

14. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I have never tied or fished that popular fly pattern...my trudes are the closest to that I suppose.

15. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

I always start with some Renegade variant on the mountain lakes I fish. Such a successful and under-regarded fly. Many a day I've started with it, changing to other patterns just to see what else will work....and found that out-performs everything else. It is even (as the OP mentions) a very effective wet-fly.....fished at a variety of depths.

I'm always amused how offended some fly fishers are when they see me catching fish, ask what I'm using, and find out it's a lowly Renegade. It must hurt their finer sensibilities!

Beachmen likes this.
  16. Stone Barnard

Stone Barnard South by Northwest

Good stuff, I'll put this one on the list to teach when I hold one of my fly tying classes down range.

Beachmen likes this.
  17. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

Good idea, its very simple a a good one to teach.

18. Jack Devlin

I was going through my trout flies this morning and came across this one which reminded me of the Renegade. I call it a Tri-visible but am sure it probably has another name. An effective pattern. IMG_0397.JPG

Beachmen likes this.
  19. Beachmen

Beachmen Active Member

i would say one of 2 things. a caddipiller imitation or a emerger.

20. Jack Devlin

Beachmen,
    I visited a friend at a fly shop yesterday and while looking through a fly suppliers book came across the fly I had been calling a "Tri-visible".
    In fact, it is a "Renegade Double". So, now I know the "official" name of the fly I've been using for many years.
    Jack

Beachmen likes this.