the bite is on!

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by trout man, Apr 27, 2010.

1. here is indiana the blueggill are biting caught 15 yesterday!

2. Whatcha catchin' 'em on? Any size to 'em?

3. Any "titty bream" ????

4. When I was kid, growing up back there, we used big 8'- 81/2 ft glass fly rods, 7 or 8 wt (by todays standards), 'cuase that was what was available at the hardware store. Level floating lines that didnt float all that well. If it was a fly, it was either a popper/slider, a rubber leg foam spider, or maybe a wooley worm. But most often, live bait in the form of meal worms.

Were I to do it today, it would be a 7ft 3 wt and a box of bead head nymphs. For Bass or crappies, & more open water, a 9ft 4/5 wt. Or maybe this old Sage 9' 3wt RP. That thing will sling a 6 wt shooting head a country mile.:D If I did it often enough, an intermediate line for sure. Maybe some type III & VI heads as well. And then I've got this little 4 ft Kencore ultra lite spinning rod and a couple of old Garcia Mitchell reels that would be the cat's meow for pulling crappies out of flooded trees....

Now Carp, that's another story. ;)

5. bobber and a worm mght try a fly today

6. I left the worms behind one time and had some old trout flies in the tackle box, so what the hack.
    I caught more bream and crappie that day and I never used worms again.
    Royal coachman, red and black ants, gray hackle yellows, all good flies for bream.

7. C'mon Troutman-any 8 year old can catch bluegill on a bobber and a worm! What else have ya got? Bluegill are some of the most fun ever on a fly rod.

Ive

8. not these they are the most pressured fish and i only fished for 25 min.

9. The 'Gill bite is on in N.Idaho as well. I went to a local lake yesterday in 20mph winds and caught 20+ on my 5wt. Great fighters. Some are in the fridge waiting on some cornmeal tonight. Hoping to get some Crappie but only caught 3 small ones.

10. I'm tying up some orange beadhead, peacock body, natural guinea soft hackles in hopes.........