The Black and Gold 3/0

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mark Mercer, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

I was really bored today with all the rain and wind so I thought I'd jump back into these things. Eunan always inspires me to keep doing them. Not real happy with it but it's been a while since I tied one. This is the Kelson version and is a Irish fly. Feel free to critique it if you want. Hope you like it. DSCN1964.JPG

2. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

No critiquing necessary on this one....great tie. Coat the head to make it look like glass and put it in a frame.

3. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

Good to see you back at it Mark.
    I'll give you what i see, for what its worth with my limited experience.

Shorten the tag and butt.
    A little lower on the tail.
    Body is fine, though hackle could be right up tight against the rib on a couple wraps
    A little longer on the body hackle and shorter on the gallina throat (did the pattern ask for Jay?)
    Lengthen the JC sides, and make the cheeks higher
    Nice mallard roof, which is always a huge slab on the irish flies.
    Tidy up the topping a little. They are a nightmare, i know.

Sorry - didnt mean it to be quite so much. But you did ask!!:cool:
    The think with these flies,if you dont tie them for a while, it takes a couple to get the groove back, as i'm sure you know!
    What did you use for the IC?
    Hope you're well!

Eunan

4. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

!($too_simple && $too_messy && !$interesting) && $fabulous

5. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Thanks guys for the comments, except for you Eunan.....Just kidding, thanks for taking the time to give me both barrels, but I ask for it, right? I almost didn't post this fly because I felt it was not up to what I expect from myself, but was so happy to even Finish it, I did it anyway. Eunan's right about almost everything he commented on but a lot about these flies is up to personnel interpretation, anyway the thing I like the least is the wings sitting so low in the back that it makes the tail look too high, but couldn't get it to stay up where I wanted it.

As Obiwan mentioned the head looks pretty bad but thats because it's a wool head tied with yarn, so it looks funny.

I'm also finding that each year that goes by, even with magnifiers, I'm having more trouble seeing the fine details. In fact some of what Eunan mentioned I didn't even see untill I saw it zoomed in after I posted it, I guess I'll have to start taking pic's after each step to make sure I don't miss anything.

Mark

6. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Mark, nice one. Photos show it all. Our eye really only "sees" one thing at a time. The camera sees all. I've been surprised at some of my own ties when I see the goofs I've made which show in the photo and I never saw.
    Where did you get your Indian Crow?
    Jack

7. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Thanks Jack, good to hear from you. It sounds like it's happened to you too! Damn camera's just don't let anything get past you. The IC are some of the subs from feathersMC, kind of pricey but a lot better then the old one's I use to use.

Mark

8. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

really wish I could like that pic twice.

9. Jack Devlin

Reason I asked about the IC is that I am making my own and was looking for a real one to use as a model. Here is a first pass.

PS Watch your tinsel body. Uneven overlaps. Sorry, just had to zing ya. :):)
    Jack

Attached Files:

S Fontinalis likes this.
  10. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Jack....you died that? You'll have to let me in on your secret when you get it dialed in, looks really good. I noticed the tinsel too, of course it was too late then.

11. Jack Devlin

Here are a few more dyed. I figured if feathermc could do it so could I. Next time I see you I'll bring a few and you can tell me how they compare.
    Jack

Attached Files:

12. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

Love your sub Jack! Looks great. What is the yellow feather? Was it white first then you dyed it yellow?

13. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

There you go Jack.... You've already got two customers, or at least two curious tiers. Inquiring minds need to know!
    Where did you find the white Pheasant to die yellow? Or is it pheasant? I've thought about this before but couldn't find any of those mysterious white pheasant feathers. Come on Jack.....Please!!!

Mark

14. Jack Devlin

I'm not sure what the feathers are that I am using. I've had this little bag of them for maybe 30 years. I tried some white pheasant but only had a few. If you could find an albino pheasant skin that would be the ticket. But the yellow ones work fine. Let me get them really good and I will tell you how to do it. A friend of mine has a couple of real ic feathers and I want to see them first to check the colors. Funny how one gets involved in these things. Originally, I only want a couple of ic feathers for tailing!
    Jack

Attached Files:

15. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

DSCN1969.JPG Jack, those look awesome! I'll bet they are from a parrot, if yuhina see's this post, I'll bet he knows what kind of parrot those came from, might be something we can keep a eye out for.
    Got me thinking so I went through a old box of tying materials and found a few small yellow feathers that look kind of like those, but are a little too curved and too large, but I know they came from a parrot. They were given to me years ago by a friend whose neighbor had one. I think they might be from a blue and gold macaw, not sure.