The chum are in at minter creek.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fly15, Nov 23, 2001.

1. fly15

fly15 New Member

My grandma and grandpa live a quarter of a mile up the road from the minter creek hatchery and for thanksgiving we always visit them so this year while the turkey was cooking my cousin and i walked down to the hatchery and there was about a
    dozen people fishing and the chum were in , they should be thick in the next couple of days and there are already quite a few.I am going sunday morning hope to see ya there.
    THE CHUM ARE FINALLY IN.:9

2. rockfish

rockfish Member

went there today, lots of fish and people

3. fly15

fly15 New Member

Went to minter today and caught 3 , smallest was about 9 pounds and the biggest was a hog of about 15 or 16 pounds.
    I don't care what you say that's fun on a fly rod.The biggest one took all my fly line and half my backing off my reel so i had to chase it down stream jumping and running after it while
    gaining line then finally my cousin tailed it and the battle was over.lots of people although i did see about 5 other fly fisherman besides my cousin wich was a pleasent surprise. I will
    be back next weekend or next monday.I would go tomorrow
    but i'm going duck hunting.:7

4. eastsider

eastsider New Member

Was there yesterday and this morning with my 9-year old son. Even though there were ALOT of people, most were friendly and courteous. They got out of the way when you had a fish on. My son caught his first salmon on a fly and had alot of others on - I appreciate the opportunity to have fish like that to get a young fly fisher started.

The bad part was the stretch above the bridge near the hatchery - there was a bit of snagging going on. They could probably put the boundary a little more downstream to discourage bad behavior...

Long drive back to the east side, but worth it!

5. johnm

johnm New Member

Drove down from Seattle this morning to check out the fishing. Arrived about 8:30 or so and saw one or two guys fishing on a fly, the rest were snagging, and keeping what they caught. I'm not much with regs, but I thought that was illegal.

Anyway, the crowds on the bank were a little much for me so I kept on going on 302 and found a couple of nice looking creeks. Rocky Creek was the nicest water open for fishing, with Sherwood Creek (currently closed) a dandy second (does it ever open up?) There were spawned-out Chum on the banks at Rocky and a few still kicking. I talked to a guy who said that Rocky gets a good Chum run but it started up about a month ago and few fish were left. Too late for this year but possibly a good option for next.

6. rockfish

rockfish Member

sherwood creek kicks out alot of fish to the few locals who fish it, when i fished it it was the middle of october. south sound that part imperticular sherwood, coulter, deer, cranberry, johns, get those october chums. sherwood creek flows into mason lake a alot of cutts but you have to fish for them in mason lake cause i think the creek is closed but mason lake is open all year and is one of the better all year lakes, with perch kokanee sqawfish a little of everything

7. rockfish

rockfish Member

sherwood creek im referring to the estuary and the point not in the creek it self

8. gators101

gators101 New Member

Jon correct me if i am wrong but rocky creek is not listed in the regs therfore it is open june1-october31. Which would make it closed now. Anyway I know how you feel sometimes I like to try and find new places. Minter creek when I was there did not look like a fly fishing creek. Good luck!