The City of Forks Fights Wild Steelhead Harvest Ban.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Bob Triggs, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

What an absolute crock of shit!!! My blood pressure went through the roof when I read this. My fingers have been typing letters so fast they're ready to bleed! Every member of this board should be sending letters to the above.

Steve Buckner
    www.northwestflyfisherman.com
  2. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +732 / 1
    The City of Forks Fights Wild Steelhead Harvest Ba...

An Open Letter to the Citizens of Forks

I feel for you. First logging and now steelhead. I couldn't do anything about the logging but I CAN do something about wild steelhead.

I will come fish for them.

I will tell my friends in other states and other countries – my friends who flyfish for Atlantic Salmon in Scotland, Norway and Nova Scotia and my friends who fish for steelhead in Idaho and Oregon and travel north across the border to fish for steelhead in the Dean and Thompson. I will tell them about the wild steelhead runs that will do nothing but become more and more numerous. We will stay in Forks. We will eat and drink in Forks. Some will hire guides in Forks. They will go home and tell their friends of the great fishing and the hospitable people of Forks and they will show photographs of the beautiful steelhead they released back into the water.

Get ready people of Forks. Your future is coming!

Leland Miyawaki
    Kent, Washington
  3. BOBLAWLESS New Member

Port Ludlow, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hard to see reality in this one. I mean the City of Forks(its citizens) have cut down every tree larger than a pencil and now they want to ruin the fishery. Who are these folks? The People from Hell?
    I don't know as a boycott threat is a good idea at this point, but if those people do succeed in killing off the native fish, then one would be in order.
    Wouldn't be hard for me to do. I had steak and eggs in the cafe there (I was ravenous and lazy) and it cost me $18.00 or so. And the meat was as knarly a piece as they get. I'll just skip that place which I believe is the only viable business in the whole town.
    A guy came in looking like the mayor and if he is, then they have the most disgusting looking mayor I have ever seen.
    Bob, the Forks thing needs work:beathead
  4. fly15 New Member

sent in my opinion on the subject.

RELEASE ALL WILD STEELHEAD!

fly15
  5. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Port Orchard, Washington, USA.

New River Mike

What a great message, Leland. I admire how you are able to find a way to put the issue in such positive terms.

:thumb
  6. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +732 / 1

Thanks New River Mike,

We need to look at this in a non-adversarial way. The people of Forks are frightened of the unknown. If this works, in two years, the people of Forks will be turning in their neighbors who are poaching. If they work at it, Forks has a very good chance of becoming the center of our wild steelhead C&R world. Who will be the first to build a fishing resort there?

Leland.
  7. Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Omaha, NE / Council Bluffs, IA
    Bob, I am grateful to you for posting this.

My letters are in the mail to the Forks Forum and to Mayor Reed. I sent e-mails to the chamber of commerce and to the Peninsula Daily News.

Something that's worth considering:

When California instituted the first ban on smoking in public, bar owners were in an uproar, they were sure that their business would plummit, and they would be ruined. But the ban passed, and so did time, and their customers kept coming. Some businesses actually improved.

I neither support nor oppose a ban on smoking in public, but this moratorium seems to be exactly the same kind of case. There's no evidence that this ban will hurt fishing, and on the contrary, if it helps fish numbers, fishing will probably increase as well. But the chicken little effect is on, which is sad.

The short-sightedness on behalf of the papers is also sad, but you can see where these little papers are coming from. If they take the high road, they're going to have to suffer the consequences the next time they go into one of these little businesses to renew their advertising contract. No doubt about it - content is driven by the advertisers. That's what you have to fight against, too. The opinion leaders.

It'll still be no easy task.

Thanks for getting this ball rolling, LS. You're a good man for it.

Teeg.

-------------------------------------------------
    You can be a fish recycler, too. Let 'em swim.
    www.recycledfish.org
  8. ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Seattle, WA.

I think greg is right here. This rule has been passed. The commission knew that it would be contraversial, If it went the other way, they wouldn't be hearing the end of it either. Send a letter saying thanks to the commisioners I say.

I can't believe the editorial in the Forks Forum. The author blames 'junk science' but he can't quote any other research. He even goes on the warpath to talk about how hysteria over the spotted owl ruined their logging party. Like there would be ANY trees left by now if they continued the way they were. :reallymad

Their logging was going to end one way or another just like their wild steelhead takes. You can't log a clearcut and you can't kill a fish that ain't there.

From what I understand that was quite a bit of good science presented to the commission. Is there anywhere in the state where wild steelhead are anywhere near historic levels? I don't think so. If there was a river that was even half of its historic level of wild steelhead, they might have a leg to stand on. I will be checking the stats for wild steelhead escapement on the OP and post the #'s soon.

BH
  9. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I think "outsiders" attempting to change the attitudes on the west Peninsula is somewhat misguided. Could result in much more animosity towards visiting fishers. The rivers and their fish are public resources and the public has voted for WSR in the form of the Commission. Those in favor of healthy rivers and fish should take the fight to the battleground- the WDFW/regs commisson, the feds and Natl Park Service, etc. Many regions of WA State are going to be dragged into the modern world kicking and screaming. Not sure there's much anyone can do about it but wait for time do do its thing. :-(
  10. ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Seattle, WA.

Good point nailknot. Every one should know if you flame them with angry mail you will add fuel to the fire. Lets take the high road.
    I do like Leland's letter though. Money talks. And everyone speaks the language. Thanks for setting an example, and thanks to everyone who worked hard in getting this important rule passed!

BH
  11. windtickler Member

1) Write letters, it looks like mine will be published in the paper (only wish I'd spent a little more time on it)
    2) Somebody was looking for a way to circulate something on this, lamenting the short time. I would like to point out that a motivated, connected individual, perhaps even a sponsor with a booth, could easily get such a letter ready for the WAFF show today, and could probably get a bunch of signatures on it. Now, that is a group of people who are going to a place specifically to spend money on their sport, so I think they would make a very good representative sample.

In fact, we could probably write petition on site, get the sponsors to agree to it, and print it, and collect signatures at the various shops as well. If people made an effort to get to the nearest shop in the next week, we could strike while the topic is still hot.
  12. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Ratings: +8 / 0

No better way to counter the assertions that WSR was railroaded in by a bunch of elitest fly fishers, that send Forks a petition from a bunch of flyfishers in Bellevue. They'll just love that.

Why don't people wait and see if Forks city council chellenges the rule. Is it even possible for them to chellenge the rule? What are the odds they would have any success whatsoever? The rule is in the regs for two years, let's cool out and see what happens.
  13. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0

I would also reconsider petitions and large gangs of elitist fly fisherman from Bellevue. Having family and friends out on the Oly Penn, they couldn't give a flying rip what 206ers think. As far as they know, you may be the same bunch a tree hugging, spotted owl lovers that told them what they had to do last time. I have taken another course. I have invited them to come fish the Skykomish and the Skagit. Asked them to look at the counts for these rivers. Encourage them to look at the shoot outs that occur at Reiter pond because there are not enough fish for anyone. I asked them, why would you want Forks to end up like Start Up or Gold Bar. There is damn little to do out in forks other than drink and fish with a real short period of hunting. At least this way they may be able to keep fishing far into the future. If they can maintain these fisheries, they may still be able to attract fisherman from all over the world with big wallets. A letter from hundreds will be better than a sheet of paper or email.

Matt Burke
  14. windtickler Member

If the issue is money, and it is according to the Mayor, then it is exactly elitist fly fishers who are the "customers" who will or will not be spending money there. Therefore, if as a block we voice an opinion, it has value.

Maybe we can enlist some elitist gear chuckers too, to round out the audience.
  15. DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

Washington.

I hope the publish Leland's letter in the Fork's paper, and in papers for the 206'rs.
  16. Sharp Steelie Guest

Just a quick heads up - in Government an email with
    an electronic signature is "an official document" that
    can't be ignored and is also a "legal" form of
    correspondence. If Bob or someone else in the OP area
    can accept emails and put them all together they
    legally cannot ignore them. Personally, wish I knew more
    about the OP/Forks area. We have hatcheries for fish to
    keep, the Natives have to stay!:thumb
  17. nomlasder Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Burien.
    Ratings: +100 / 0

We fished the Sol Duc a few weeks ago with a guide, the the lower section. After releasing our first few fish they were suprized we wern't interested in meat for the freezer. We went the next day above the hatchery in CNR land. The bite was slow as rain began raising the level and clarity went down. But what really the real shock was the three unused private hatcheries and one unused state hatchery, that we pay 50k a month to maintain and not use. I understand the argument of hatchery fish diluting the native genetic strains, but multipal releases of diferent stains of hatchery bread fish couldn't hurt. Thoughts?
  18. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +137 / 0

Gotta agree with Windtickler. Mattzoid, you may be right that folks over there don't care what the 206'ers think, but if that's the real feeling of the mayor, city council and chamber of commerce in Forks then I'd say they're being a bit hypocritical. They are saying this is going to be bad for the local economy because people will be less likely to head over there to fish if they can't kill what they catch. Well, lots and lots of 206'ers are just fine putting the wild fish they catch back so I think they've got it wrong that WSR will dissuade large numbers of people from going over there. I run into fly and gear guys around here all the time that are just perfectly content to release wild fish. Moreover, most serious anglers (fly or gear) recognize that a system managed under catch and release is likely to be a better fishery than one managed under catch and kill. The world is changing - these folks in Forks ought to recognize that this probably is a better thing net net than trying to curry favor with local (or non-local) meatfishers who - pardon the elitism - are not usually the kind to be dropping lots of coin in the local economy. We could help them figure out the dollar and cents of this issue by doing a poll on this very site. The question would be very simple:

Will you stay away from the OlyPen if it remains catch and release on wild fish?

I would be very surprised if a single person said yes (well, other than the usual smartasses who just like to stir things up.;)) And the thing is, it's not like the OP will be at a disadvantage vs. other places to fish in Washington. It's a statewide moratorium on killing wild steelhead, so the meatfishers don't really have another place to go in state where they can do what they can't do on the OP.
  19. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,003 / 0

Having grown up in a small coastal town on a steelhead and salmon river, I second the eariler opinion that the residents could give a sh*t what anyone else thinks of their economically-depressed slice of heaven. The natives are gonna do what they think they've gotta do. And if that involves bonking steelhead to put meat on the table of an un- or under-employed ex-logger, not many of their neighbors are likely to complain.

How many enforcement officers does WFDW now have after the latest round of Mr. Eyeman's tax cuts? The last number I heard was in the mid-20s for the entire state, including commercial fishing enforcement. It's not as if there's gonna be a warden jumping out from behind a tree every time some Forks gearhead bonks a fish he thinks he's entitled to, illegal or not.

The more we 206ers and 425ers rant about how we feel they run their lives, the more they're gonna give us the middle finger salute.
  20. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0

I just wish that the folks in Forks were not so short sighted. There are a lot of lifetime residents out there that don't share the same opinion as the mayor of Forks. They should embrace this event knowing the income generated from fishing, will be secured well into the future. Infact, they ought to have a sponsored event like a Spey Clave or some such, to promote the new C&R rules. If they continue to kill, the only thing they will have left to do out there is drink. I will continue to fish out there, but I wont tank up or buy Old fashions and Jerky for breakfast anymore in Forks. I'll always try to have enough gas to get back to PA and tank up.

Matt Burke