The Cle Elum with friends

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Alex MacDonald, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +896 / 0
    Derek Young, Orangeradish, JesseCFowl and I took the Watermasters down the Cle Elum last Friday, my first time in decent water with the new boat. We probably should have started earlier, but it's such a beautiful area, it was great to check it out. There's also no way to get a hard-side boat down the thing right now due to a serious blockage about half-way down. Everybody hooked fish, but the numbers were down. Size wasn't bad, though! And of course, my limited photography skills contributed to NOT taking photos of anybody's fish!

Right off the launch, Jesse broke off the tip of one oar. Fortunately, most of the float was pretty benign, except the stretch by the blockage. Beavers were at work among the trees, but we saw no sign of their dens or dams. One nice thing was finding a huge flat spot right by the river for camping. It had an unused road through it, and plenty of firewood on the far bank. I'm looking forward to hitting the river again next season, when the weather's a little warmer. We finished the day with some jalapeno poppers and venison bratwurst, washed down with a few beers around an impromptu campfire. Great guys, and a really nice float! View attachment 35816 View attachment 35817 View attachment 35818 View attachment 35819 View attachment 35820 View attachment 35821 View attachment 35822 View attachment 35823
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,521 / 9
    Real sorry I had to bail on you guys. I missed a fun sounding float and a great group of guys. I'll be looking forward to that next outing. Did Jesse and Derek spend time with their bug screens flipping over rocks and filtering the flows? One of those boats just does not look right...the one with some yellow OrangeRadish coloration...
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,702 / 2
    Jesse really needs to stop trying to pole-vault over the rocks! :rofl:
  4. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +888 / 1
    Great trip, and I appreciate the invite. Those WM's are a blast, and I'll be keeping my eye out for one. Great fishing with you all.
  5. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +229 / 1
    Great pics Alex!
    Thanks for posting them.:thumb:
  6. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +291 / 0
    Great looking trip.

If I may, I have a few questions on the options and set up of your Water Masters? I just purchased the Water Strider for the upper Yak (tired of lugging a pontoon over and around trees), but have yet to break it in.

I see one set up using the rod holder in front holding the rod facing backward and the other in the more traditional inside position. For river floating, which option do you prefer? I kind of like the idea of it facing backward while rowing.

Secondly, how do you like the mesh bag option seen on the blue boat? Does it get in the way or is it a worthwhile option? Thanks in advance.
  7. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    Nice report Alex. That is sure a beautiful area.
  8. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Rod position depends on the river, or rather, the amount of things that can catch the rod! With the Cle Elum, most of the time there's no worries, but in that tight section, we all had to remove the rods and carry them horizontally to avoid hanging up. So far I haven't found the perfect position for mine, and it'll interfere with locking the oars if it's in the wrong spot!

I found the mesh bag doesn't interfere with anything. It's a nice way to carry a water bottle, but in rough water it probably wouldn't keep the water from getting into a beer. I put my fly boxes in it, but since it gets wet, I probably want to get some waterproof boxes, and switch flies before the trip. I hate wearing a vest if I don't have to!
  9. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +773 / 0
    I'm the guy with the rod on the front angling back towards me. I find this is the best way to carry a rod without it sticking up like an antenna. With the rod angled back, it basically rests on my shoulder and I don't have to worry about it hitting any brush. Seems like a counter intuitive position, but it works for me.

Rowing is another story altogether. One of these days I'll stop trying to jump rocks with my oars. ;)

Alex - thanks for the awesome food after a good long day on the water. I pigged out and was dead hungry after that day of running water! I can't wait to get out with you fellas sometime soon.
  10. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    By the way - that's probably the last time I'm getting up in Seattle at 4AM, fishing all day while drinking beers, then clobbering a massive dinner and driving all the way back to Seattle

I damn near fell asleep at the wheel on the ride back home. I had to turn the AC and the stereo on full blast to stay up and at em. Not fun. Next time I'm definitely spending the night and fishing the next morning too.

-Jesse
  11. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

sounds and looks great thanks for the post and pics
  12. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    I've caught a few hours of shut eye on the off ramps along that route many times over the past year.
  13. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

So Jesse, where's that photo of the fish??
  14. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    I can't find my damn camera. I feel awful about losing it - going through the car in detail tonight so hopefully it turns up.
  15. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Nice! Looks like a great time. I hope to take my WaterMaster down that stretch someday.