"The Dog that bit me!"

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by andrew, Dec 6, 2002.

1. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    I have always scoffed at "Old Normy" or any of his fellow "This Old House" comrades-in-powertools for wearing safty goggles for every task under the sun...from cleaning out a clogged sink to hanging wall paper! It finally occured to me, through my bout with a chum, that eye protection is just not a show disclaimer...but something that should be thought of seriously!

This past Turkey Lurkey Day I was enjoying a day on the Skagit with my father and BIL (brother-in-law) not targeting any specific fish, but just to fish. After a dozen hook-ups or so for all of us...it happens! My drag screems, I screem as the fish races up stream then back down, and then up again! Just as I get all but the first 10 yards or so of my line back in the reel this 'dog' hits the surface and spits the hook...or shall I say SHOOTS the hook! I couldn't dodge the super-sonic, moch 5, #4 7999 Tiemco, barbell weighted offering! It felt as if someone threw a marble at my eye, the barbell weight hit just in the corner of my eye/nose, while the hook grabbed my (closed) eylid! It took a few seconds to shake off the hit, but it wasn't until I opened my eyes that I notice the bright pink marabou dangling alongside my nose. I quickly turned to BIL and Dad, and in unison they exclaim "WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT FOR!?"

Needless to say I am now a firm believer in eye protection for every situation! You might want to consider it as well! :pROFESSOR

2. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

THROW BARBLESS IN AS WELL....

3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Excellant mention of an important consideration- sometimes we can get sloppy and a hook on the end of a flyline can really hurt you seriously.Worst thing can be an eye injury or loss, but a hook in your hand can cripple you too. Barbless is really the only way to go.And I have the scars to prove it.

4. Piscator

Piscator New Member

Good advice.
    Personally I would rather forget my rod than forget my glasses when fishing. I WILL NOT fish with out them.
    I've went down to the river a few times and forgot my glasses and have always went back home and got 'em or went and bought new ones.

Fish on!
    Piscator

5. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Piscator is right, you should always be wearing glasses when fishing!

If you haven't worn polarized sun-glasses, then you don't know what you are missing, and that would be fish! Many times I've seen fish that others couldn't because of those shades.

Unless it's so dark I can't see at all, I wear my shades all the time, because the glare of sunlight even when overcast, is murder on the ol'eyeballs too.

I have removed barbless hooks from many places over the years but I would never want to have to pull one out'a my eye!!

LB :TSKTSK

6. chief

chief Active Member

Hey Andrew, I feel your pain. A few weeks ago I hooked a Chum and then realized that it was foul hooked. I pointed my rod at it to break it off, but instead of breaking off, the fly (also w/lead barbell eyes)comes unbuttoned and sling shots at my head,just like what happened to you. I was wearing polarized glasses and a baseball cap, but somehow the fly found the gap between the two and clocked me in the forehead. The hit was enough to daze me for a second and cause a brief wave of nausea. Made a nice gash too. I agree with the eye protection reminder, I couldn't believe how hard and fast that fly came at me.

7. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    being politically correct sucks

awwwww man what a gnarly war story! those chums are ruthless in more ways than one! that is a great story to tell the ol grandkids...

"years ago sonny, i hooked this massive chum, about 50 lb'r, and he came right for me. he rembered that i had previously caught and bonked his mother bessie, who was also 50lbs. the murderous look in the old bastards eye made me quiver with fear..."

~sean~

8. mcronariver

mcronariver New Member

Comes with the territory! Thats fishing brother.

Mcronariver

9. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Media:
    anyone find a good place to get sport type (i.e. cool looking)prescription polarized sunglasses?? I use the fit overs, but feel I look like a retired guy from Arizona. They also tend to fog up after a good bushwhacking to the river.

Jim

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

You can't be that old. I have noticed the last few times that I have taken my wifes or daughters glasses up to be repaired at the eye glass place that they have a new thing with the eye glasses, They're sun glasses that fit right over your glasses that attach with magnets and are polarized sun glasses. They are really neat and us old guys would benifit from them. That way we wouldn't need them ugly fit overs. I know because I used to wear them,but lately I've just took my glasses off and put on polarized glassess. I don't need to see to fish but I need to see to drive.

Jim

11. J Badgerman

J Badgerman New Member

Has anyone ever found yellow or clear polarized lenses? My sister-in-law works for sunglasses hut and said that they don't make them. But I have a real hard time believing that someone on gods green earth doesn't make them. Then again she isn't the brightest crayon in the box either. If anyone has any info on the above stated lenses please contact me somehow. Telecast, press release, Public service anouncement, E-mail, carrier pigeon, or any other means of communication would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeremy Badger

12. flyfishr

flyfishr New Member

I just picked up a pair of prescription polarized sunglasses fron Action Optics http://www.actionoptics.com/. They have a number of their wwrap around glasses available in prescription depending on your prescription.

13. Roll Cast

Roll Cast New Member

"The Dog that bit me!"

I bought two pairs of fitover style sunglasses about 20 years ago. One pair has grey lens; the other is a yellow lens (like shooters glasses). As a fashion consideration, I fitted both pairs with basic black croakies. I usually wear both pairs. The morning begins with the Yellows on my face; the grays hanging by a croakie (over chest or back depending on my whimsy). The grays come up and go down with the sun except during a Puget Sound winter when I wear the yellows all day. I see Kaufmann's still sells the basic set up however the price has gone from about $20 for two pairs to $100 for two pairs.
    Everything seems to be on sale if a guy compares todays price with what will have to be paid 20 years from now. ( Note to my wife: Dearest wife, as you read this I'm sure you understand how I was really being frugal when I both those 13 fly rods before the price went up).
    Rollcast:professor