The Dry Montana

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by GAT, Jan 24, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

IMG_1462.jpg

In the early 90s, my friend Eric Hoberg and I fished the McKenzie pretty much year around. We came across a strange stonefly hatch during a warm February day. The bugs were jet black with a yellow thorax. I asked Rick Hafele about the stonefly and he was well aware of the critter. He told me it is a relative of a Golden Stonefly but is smaller than a Golden Stone and larger than a Winter stone. It has a Latin name but Latin goes in one ear and out the other. (if I had to guess, I believe the bug is a Perlinodes aurea (Springfly), but I'm not sure on that one)

Eric and I tried tying a number of different patterns and finally came up with this one. It is the same colors as a Montana Stonefly Nymph so we called it a Dry Montana.

In Western Oregon, the hatches only last a few weeks and normally in February and March. They occur later in the year at higher elevations.

During one vacation fishing trip in July, Virginia and I were fishing the Lamar in YNP and found ourselves in the middle of a black and yellow stonefly hatch and experienced a banner day using the pattern shown above.

So, just in case, it is worth your while to tie up a few of these guys just in case you run into a hatch.
    You can't miss them due to their contrasting colors.

Materials:

Hook: TMC 5212, sizes 8-10
    Thread: Black
    Tail: Black dyed coastal deer hair
    Body: Black antron yarn
    Wing: Black dyed coastal deer hair
    Thorax: Yellow antron yarn
    Hackle: Grizzly, dry fly quality

2. Brandon4455

Brandon4455 Bobber Down!

that is really cool! ditto in later in the year in higher elevations,ive seen those stones hatch on the stream where we shot the coast range cutties video. usually see them in may and june and the elevation is higher thee for sure.

ill have to add that one to my list.

3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Brandon, they should be hatching anytime now on Mac and Willy. (The McKenzie and The Willamette for those who don't know the code names) If we get some continuous days without rain during February, that's when they start showing up.

The hatch can be quite large at Armitage Park on Mac (where Eric and I first found them) and at Marshall Island on Willy. Sometimes the trout are not tuned into the stonefly and ignore them but if they are wise to the guys, it is a very effective pattern. Sometimes, the hatch occurs in early March when everyone is out using March Browns.

I've never seen them at the higher elevations in the NW -- so it was a surprise when Virginia and I ran into the stoneflies on the Lamar in YNP. Due to their odd coloring, they are very hard to miss.