The Earth Is Bleeding...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, May 14, 2010.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I find it interesting that BP is "tryng to stop the leak" by inserting another 6" pipe into the 21" pipe. Now if that leads to "plugging" the leak -- great. On the other hand, they are actually harvesting the oil and trying to not let all of it go to waste..... Sounds like their trying to make a little money during this operation of repair? O K ... hmmmmmmmmmm Plug the Son of a Bitch!!!

And FE427TP, I was wondering if you love listening to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Glen Beck?

2. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Must we go down this road.......?

3. dryflylarry

Media:
    Sorry, I'm just tired of the conservative rants regarding environmental concerns about this planet. We can forget I mentioned it.

4. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    Kent- I think you're deduction is a bit off. I'm not responsible for a company making mistakes and cutting corners, especially when the profits are up. There's simply no reason to half ass anything, especially when I , the end consumer, is willing ( like I have a choice?) to pay the difference.

5. dryflylarry

Media:
    I've seen a number of estimates on how much oil is leaking per day. I believe the LOW end is 5,000 barrels a day (210,000 gallons). I saw another estimate of up to 100,000 barrels a day. Of course BP likes the 5,000 number... I don't claim to be an expert, however, I understand irrigation design relative to pipe size and pressures. I think I will go with the 100,000 barrels per day figure, which is 4.2 million gallons per day. The pipe size that is leaking is something like 21" in diameter. An 8" pipe can deliver water (a little different, however) up to 2800 gallons per minute under high pressure. I say that the leak is easily pumping that much oil. (Remember, I'm talking about an 8" pipe, not a 21") The bigger pipe you have, the more volume you can pump, based of course, on pressures down there. Looking at the video of the pipe gushing, I would say there is a hell of a lot of pressure. You know damn well that the BP engineers know how much it is pumping. They know what the pressures are, etc. So I say 100,000 barrels a day is LOW! -----------Plug that Baby! Plug that Baby! What a disaster ...

6. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Reallly a 9 second soundbite. What a tool.

It becomes difficult for many of us to respect the "no politics" rule when people take the opertunity that a fishing disaster creates to use it for their political gain. That sir is what you just did while accusing Mr. Emmanual of doing it with a 9 second sound bite. You can go and do what Dick Cheney wanted patrick Leahy to do. You win tool of the month Mr. 2 posts (all political and misguided).

Well put Mr. Lufkin. We all have some blame. Some have more than others though.

Sox win,
    cds

7. oldskool

oldskool Guest

Does anyone know or how this "leak" happened? Kinda weird don't you think? I'm not a conspiracy guy, but usually when there's an "accident" this major, the news is covering how it happened 24/7. They talk and talk and talk about how it "should" have been done but....I have not seen one story on how it happened, just what happened. I know there was an explosion top side, but what happened at 5000+ ft.? I heard that methane gas got into the generators air intake and boom! That doesn't account for the subsurface problem does it? Did a sub take a wrong turn?

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Um...the freaking oil rig blew up, killed at least eleven, sank to the bottom, pipe ruputured, blow out valve failed, 5,000 to 100,000 barrels of oil a day have been gushing out of that sucker, nothing is being attempted in a hurry, nothing tried so far has worked, conamination will be widespread, worst oil spill ever, ecosystem wrecked, fishing industry devastated...now you are caught up to speed.

9. dryflylarry

Media:
    I have the answer!!!!!! Here it is. Slip a 24" pipe over the 21" with a preinstalled valve on it. Seal the connection, then turn off the stinking valve!!!! Pretty damn simple huh? :beer1:

10. oldskool

oldskool Guest

Like I said, I knew of the explosion, spill and end of the world ****. I didn't know that the whole thing sunk!? Yep, up to speed now. Thanx Mumbles.

11. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    Yes it does. Lots of big chunks of frozen methane just sitting on the bottom.

12. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    I'm no engineer. I'm also not a conspiracy theorist. I don't believe that ANYONE is delighted that all this oil is leaking into the ocean. If the solution were that simple Dryfly I think they would have done it.

13. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Because I want to be sure everyone has an understanding of what Rahm Emannual was saying, here is a longer video of the same soundbite
    I think this officially puts to rest any thought that our new random numbers and letters guy has any credability. That 9 second soundbite was a dishonest way to portray what Emmanual was saying.

I try like hell to respect the no politics nature of this board. I am sorry if I have strayed too far from that. I have done it only to be assured that my political beliefs aren't being intentionally miscommunicated without any rebuttal.

I gotta go back to caring for a sick kid, hope you all have a nice day and someone figures out how to stop this oil mess.

Turn it around Sox!,
    cds

14. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

My guess, to sum it up in as few words as possible: They hit the mother of all gushers and didn't realize how much pressure was involved. They didn't have the technology to contain that much pressure a mile under the surface, but they were overcome with greed over the prospects of tapping into this huge pool of oil, and went ahead and bored down into it anyway.

15. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Jim they knew how much pressure there was. The US governent specked this deposit out years ago. This is one big mean mother load of oil and methane man. That is why BP was the one drilling it even though it is in our waters. The US rigs couldn't drill it because it would never fly under our safety regs. Man tried to push the limits again with undergunned technology and this time we lost. Sadly, if this deposit is as big as the numbers said it was (The numbers released before they fuked up) we may be in for a pretty bumpy ride off a big cliff. Keep in mind what created the gulf of Mexico area and how big that hole was before it filled itself in. The seabed is already collapsing under the pressure and it will only get worse until the well is empty. (think of it as dropping a full 5 gallon water jug on a hot pocket.) Please pray that motherfuker doesn't crack wide open.

16. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Reduce, Reuse, Recycle...drive less! Buy less gas!!! We can have an impact. Vote with your lifestyle!

17. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    One thing that really bugs me about a discussion are this is how quickly blame get laid at the feet of the greedy profit driven oil companies. Maybe the companies deserve the blame in this case and if so they will be punished. Look at how much Exxon paid out in Alaska. But of all the companies out there, the two industries that get called out for being evil and greedy are the health insurance companies and the oil companies, and they have some of the lowest profit margins of any industries. When we joke on here about drinking beer we never refer to the beer companies as greedy, yet their profit margins are about 400% higher than the oil industry's. Same is true for the computer industry we utilize to communicate with.

Threads like this one too often devolve into hyperbole and ad hominum attacks, rather than civil discourse, which is unfortunate.

18. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    http://blog.al.com/live/2010/05/oil_spill_rig_owner_transocean.html

They must have some cash to fork over a billion in divs

I find it slightly disturbing that trasocean moved to switzerland. I wonder if they have the same safety consultants as the kockknobs there that are f-ing around with quantum foam. Maybe they can rip a hole in the 4th dimension as well as crack the earth's crust before the end of the Fiscal Year.

Last time I checked, brewing a PBR tallboy won't collapse the sea floor, suck particles through a wormhole or cover the east coast of North and South america in crude.

19. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    I think that the lobbying that the oil companies and insurance companies engage in are the source of the mistrust and disdain for them.

Go Sox,
    cds

20. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Media:
    True they have billions, and those dividends that they distribute are going to everyone that has a 401K or mutual fund in there IRA.

And its true that your PBR tallboy won't cause environmental damage, I am sure you would agree that the alcohol industry is directly related to more deaths and social problems than they oil industry.

I am not trying to defend the actions of any of the parties involved with this incident. You won't solve the issues between sportsman and native Americans by ripping on the natives, nor will you resolve the drilling controversy by making ignorant attacks on the oil industry. Make legitimate educated attacks, they deserve it in some cases.