NFR The easiest BIG decision I will ever make.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Codioos, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Good on ya, mate!

I was a devout bachelor for 60 years until I met my now-wife at our 40-year high school reunion in 2009. We started dating about 9 months later and got married 15 months after that. Best decision I've ever made (next to retiring early! ;))

We've only been married 15 months but it's been great. On our 1-year anniversary we celebrated by going fishing!! Gotta love a woman like that, right???

May God bless you, your intended and your upcoming marriage! :D

2. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Congrats on your upcoming marriage!
    Been married 27 years and will add one more to Jeff's list.
    4. Never go to bed mad....always work it out and go to bed as friends......life will be so much better ;)

3. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    The only thing I'd add...if she is "all that and a bag of chips", size of the ring won't matter at all. I (like you) wanted to buy a bigger ring, and my wife said no way! She wanted a good washer and dryer instead...go figure. She graduated at the top of her class from WSU, and wanted to be a stay at home mom. I said, um..ok.
    4 kids and 15 years later, I am a blessed man. (Honestly, I think God knew I really needed help)

Some people would say, "Now you have a ball and chain around your ankle for the rest of your life." Since I've been married, I'd say that I had "a ball and chain", then I married her and lost that ball and chain. Sounds like you have found the right lady for you, and that is simply awesome Codioos!

I sincerely hope that all goes well, but even if it doesn't...you have the rest of your lives to laugh about it :p.

4. Joe Mateas

Joe Mateas Member

Media:
    Congrats on your decision! I put a ring on my girlfriend of almost 9 years' finger with the fireworks going off behind me on the 4th of july. I did the whole ask dad thign and all that too, he already likes me but that put our relationship to a new level as well. Good for you for finding one that will fish. Mine wants to but she never sctually gets out there with me, most of the time thats a good thing but sometimes it would be nice to have er with me. Atleast she doesn't say anything when I'm on the water 3-4 days a week when fishin's good. I wish I could offer some wisdom but although we have been living together for a long time I am entering a whole new world too.

5. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    Grats man, it's about love not money so the ring is only symbolic. My wife and I got married in `91 and we spent $500.00 on everything...including the rings. She camps, eats cold food and puts up with my obsessions as do I with hers. We are a true dirtbag couple and I am proud of our large family of three dogs and 2 cats and much gear :)
    Keep it simple and be honest and open in your relationship.
    It's not brain surgery.
    Good luck man and get psyched for fun.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Congratulations, best of luck, love and life.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  7. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Congrats on the engagement, best wishes to you and the lady. I've done marriage twice, the first with the wrong expectations. The second marriage was thought out, discussed, considered, discussed and considered. I don't ascribe to the "happy wife, happy life" thing, that was what destroyed the first marriage. I do subscribe to patience, listening, negotiating, caring, but also on asking for what I want and being honest about me. But the biggest part for us is building a level of trust and commitment to each other so that we can work through the challenges that come in such a close and demanding relationship. This second marriage is 22 years old and going exceedingly well. I wish you the very, very best.

constructeur and Blake Harmon like this.
  8. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    LMAO 'boot!!!
    Congrats!! Be a good husband!!!!

9. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Thank you everyone. I feel pretty dang awesome and am ready to do it.

I've got it all planed out. I picked up a teady bear that is holding present, so I will put the ring in that box all wraped up. I'm going to have my soon-to-be father in law hide the bear in the family room so it looks like a decoration. When my family come over to her parents house to hang out on Christmas afternoon we will all gather in the main room and I will point out to the bride-to-be the bear and the present its holding. As she opens the box and finds the ring I will be on one knee in full proposal mode. I just hope I can get the lines right.

So far its only her dad that knows about it. I'm going for a big suprise here. Although I think everybody knows its coming sooner or later.

10. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    I hope your soon-to-be fiancee doesn't read the forum lol

11. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Haha, I think I'm safe from that.:cool:

12. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

Home Page:
    My wife and I met in 1974 and married in 1975 using cheap rings bought from Jafco; the "Costco" of its day. She got better ones but I still wear mine. When new they had engraved designs. Mine is now plain gold. Not only do I not take it off... it won't come off. I'd have to cut either the finger or the ring.

in 2003 my wife and I stood outside the door to her parents house. The same door that I knocked on in 1974 to ask if the person who owned the dirt-bike in the driveway wanted to go explore some trails with me (it was her). We were waiting for our daughter to come out and walk with us down the aisle in the garden to meet her fiance on her wedding day.

You can never tell what will happen when you knock on a door.We have explored many trails together and it's been an adventure all the way.

Congratulations... stay true and be kind to each other.

Craig

Codioos and Andrew Lawrence like this.
  13. TexBC

TexBC Fly Addict

Great news, congratulations to you and your lucky bride-to-be! Your idea for a proposal sounds terrific - as long as she is ok with public surprises. I know, I know.. it's not public, it's your family... but just be aware.

I got engaged a while back and made sure it was very private, as my girl is a fairly private person about these sorts of things. It was a good decision - I don't think it would've gone as smoothly if I had've proposed in front of a group of people! lol

We finally got married last summer and it was easily one of the best days of my life. I hope your engagement and wedding will be equally memorable.

[​IMG]

14. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    TexBC, thats funny you say that.... I almost asked my wife at a Winterhawks game!! She loves hockey, and was the one with the season tickets, so its not like all the bad ones you see at the basketball games.
    I decided not to at the last minute... Did it as we woke up one morning....

15. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

There is nothing to compare the love of a beautiful woman to bring out the best in every man. I know my wife does. Congratulations and I hope all goes well

16. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

A wife is like fishing, it all smells the same and gets better each day. Congrads to manning up and taking the dive, contrary to what you might believe your life is just starting. Here's to good health and happiness for many years.

17. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Congratulations! And good to see the younger generation still values the tradition of asking dad's blessing first! Her Ladyship and I send our very best wishes.

Be Jofus G and David Dalan like this.
  18. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    I did write all kinds of advice, but I deleted it. You'll hear enough of it anyway...from people you actually know!

Congrats on asking for her hand. I didn't and I wish I had. We're still rocking after 16 years, and I wish you all the same joys, challenges and wonder that we've had so far. Best decision I ever made.

Good luck, and congratulations!!

19. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    Good luck! Her dad sounds awesome for helping out. Thanks for sharing.

20. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Awesome man! Congrats. 12 years here. Once you get Gear Laundering and the fly fishing "weight loss" program nailed down, It's all smooth sailing.