The first fly you ever tied?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Loopy, Sep 16, 2008.

1. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I tried to tie an egg imatation, I took thread and wrapped it so much it was the shape of an egg, then it unravled because I didn't know what a half hitch was... The first thing I did with a vice and stuff was a marabou black ghost which was ugly
  2. Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    A big black mayfly with hackle about twice as long as it should have been. Ah, those were the days...
  3. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Well, the first flies I tied were the Gray hackle yellow and the Brown hackle peacock.
    I caught a lot of fish on those two and still have one or two in my go to box.
  4. Scott Keith Member

Arlington, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I don't remember the first thing I tied.... probably doesn't have a name. I was working at WaMu at the time and a guy by the name of Larry Dewey brought in his tying stuuff and let me play around. I used to tie at work all the time.

Scott
  5. Mike Wade Member

Shoreline, Washington, USA.
    A nyerges nymph. Very easy fly to learn on and at that time very productive in Nunnally. That was about 1970.
  6. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Mike,
    That's still a very effective fly!
  7. flytyerboy95 Future fly fishing guide

Monroe,WA
    Black Wooley bugger :D
  8. Maybe 1973 or 74 a flytying class at Everett community college. The basic black wooley worm with the red yarn tail. Still have the Thompson Model A fly vise too.
  9. kosel80 Native Trout Fan

Hampton Roads Virginia
    Endless olive wooley buggers for SRCs for my dad. I didn't fly fish at the time but he did. He had the good sense to tell me they were exceptional even though they looked terrible so that I would keep on tying them. Kept him in free flies for a while till I saw how many more trout he was catching!
  10. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +207 / 0
    Adams. It was too fat and the tail was too long and heavy, but I got the front half right, though I crowded the hookeye. Still do that sometimes.