The fish gods are punishing me...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by ColdArkansan, Jan 31, 2013.

1. ColdArkansan Redneck Scientist

Seattle, Washington
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I haven't touch my fly gear in a several months, I also haven’t posted on this forum in a long time. it’s a travesty, I know. But those months between October and February are devoted to our feathered friends in the sky. I’m Going out to chase the non-existent steelhead in a few weeks and I started tying up some flies. Got about 10 flies into my groove and BAM! One of the jaws in the old Renzetti snapped. I was more surprised than anything. I honestly didn’t swear and my dog was there to vouch for me. Any of you guys ever have this happen? The Jaws are off to Renzetti for replacements and I was fortunate enough to know someone who had a set that would fit my vice.

IMG_0679.JPG
  2. ColdArkansan Redneck Scientist

Seattle, Washington
    Holy crap, sorry guys that pic is huge!! is there an option to upload a smaller version!?
  3. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +963 / 1
    Us old guys appreciate the large print Readers Digest version. We can see right where the break occurred. Looks like a flawed casting.
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,622 / 2
    Very, very common on Renzetti vises.
  5. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    i just bought the newest all black renzetti traveler 2300 to replace an original 1980s traveler. i guess i'd better keep the old jaws nearby. ;)

however i dont expect any problems with the new one.
  6. ColdArkansan Redneck Scientist

Seattle, Washington
    Interesting that you say that cause from what I've researched it's not a super popular thing to happen.... regardless, renzetti is replacing it. I've heard of the very tip of the jaws breaking but not many breaking at the screw hole.

Edit - I stand corrected, Looks like it was an issue with some early generation vises afterall... Crow eatn'
  7. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +230 / 3
    I bought one lightly used from the classifieds. Vice looked brand new, in original box and everything. Within 5 flies the same thing happened. And renzetti gave me a hard time about replacing them as a manufacturing defect.
  8. ColdArkansan Redneck Scientist

Seattle, Washington
    Bummer! They were really nice to me and I didn't have any issues. How long ago was this?
  9. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +230 / 3
    About a year ago
  10. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,592 / 0
    This sort of thing never happens unless you piss of the fly tying gods.

Never. Absolutely never.

:eek: :D

Over the years, I've heard it is common for that model of vise. If Renz is replacing the jaws free of charge... no harm, no foul.
  11. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    good idea
  12. Mayfly Aviator Member

Idaho Falls, ID
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Buy a Peak and crank it down to create your own diamonds.
    Rob Ast likes this.