The Great Hat Race

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by BOBLAWLESS, Oct 4, 2002.

1. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

I began to notice that people fishing on the Russian River in the sixties in California started wearing these god-awful hats. You were supposed to wear a baseball cap (Giants or 49ers, of course) and a jersey pullover with a hood. Apparently somebody got tired of this monotony and put on a beret. I thought he looked very cool so I sidled up to him to ask how he was doing. He had caught nothing so I dimissed berets as being no good as a hat. Then it just kept getting worse. I bought a big, cheap cowboy hat with an Eisenhower button on it (actually I hated Eisenhower). I noticed that I got a lot of approving looks and guys sidled over to me with big smiles and asked how I was doing. I was in a nasty slump at the time and I told them so. They went away disgusted.
    But the last straw was when this guy at the end of the season, strolling down my favorite riffle, had a beanie on with a propeller on top. The wind was hellacious as usual and I couldn't keep from sneaking peeks at his 3,000rpm prop. I pretented not to notice the beanie and he told me that he had released four fish on a boss fly #4.
    I have tried to buy a prop.job beanie without success. Any help here? :CLOWN

2. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Media:
    LOL! Try Value Village....only if you could put that prop to use - Line winder, charge your headlamp, fly dryer....

3. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  4. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Chris.
    Thanks for the web site and help on my propeller beanie for fly fishing. I am going to order about thirteen of these for the fifteen bucks and then when I get a nice fish, I am going to peddle them for about $30.00. There will be a 10% discount if you are carrying fly gear. I hope to start a big fad here on the West Coast. Then, if successful, it's on to the East and then the world. If only I could find the originator of the idea, I would cut him in. You get 1% for your internet help. You'll probably be able to quit your job soon.
    BOBLAWLESS : :LOVEIT

5. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Dude if it works, I'll be a beanie hat buying SOB. I'd wear Condoms on my ears if I thought it would help me with a hook up.

I'll keep tying, Sumpin' gotta work.

Matt

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

I needed a good laugh today. And your answer provided it. I almost fell of my chair when I read it and I still can't stop laughing.

Jim

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Do you really think that would work. What me and you can do is start a no fish club. We go out and try but nothing works. I'm beginning to think that I'm jinxed.

Jim

8. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oldman,

If you think you are jinxed don't go fishing with any of my buddies from Idaho. They will keep you jinxed for life. I've got a friend that I have fished all kinds of rivers and lakes with: Bitch Creek, Teton River, Henry's fork (countless times)Henry's lake and the Provo and let me tell you: if I can't ditch that bastard and or keep him 100 yards away from me at all times I will never catch a fish. I won't even get a bite. Imagine my dismay last year when I spent a whole day with him on Henry's lake in a rented boat throwing every fly in my vest and getting no action. While every single sucker and his gradma with a float tube is just reeling them in left and right. An 9 pounder here a 6 pounder there. It was maddening. As long as I keep him away from me I tend to do fairly well. I feel your pain. I think I will buy one of Bobs Beanies. Thanks for the laughs guys.

MacRowdy

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Maybe we should all get those beanies. That way when we all get on the rivers we will know each other. That way we could tell one idiot from another. :TONGUE :TONGUE

10. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah it is really too bad you didn't have one one today. I barely recognized you stumbling and grumbling down the river.
    ~MacRowdy