THe grunion are running!!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by stilly stalker, Jun 12, 2014.

1. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Here in So-Cal its about that time! Tens of thousands of grunion coming ashore to lay their eggs in the wet sand! The surf fishing for halibut is about to get RIDICULOUS!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=gru...boASly4GoCA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=1099

Im tying up some Blue/pearl clouser type flies tonight and will be hitting the beaches HARD 1st thing in the morning every morning after the grunion run :D

Hopefully I will get some sweet halibut on fly rod pics

Alexander likes this.
  2. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Can't wait to see some pics! My bro is trying to get into the beach ff scene there. What size hooks are you using and about how long are the flies you'll be tying?

Also what type of fly line do you recommend? I built him an 8wt on a Batson RX 8 blank and have been wondering what a decent line set up would be from the beach. He's still trying to dail in his casting and get better at it.

3. stilly stalker

I just bought a new stick for surf fishing- Sage xi3 6 wt. I cast 7 wt lines on it- right now Im casting the rio outbound short ( 30ft head 265 grain) 70 feet intermediate running line. Flies vary from size 4 clousers to size 8 bonefish style flies. Pink, red, orange crazy charlie variants etc and some more realistic mole crab/ghost shrimp imitations.

Apparently the halibut get thick in the surf zone when the grunion are running... I hope to have lots of pics come Saturday and Sunday morning.

triploidjunkie and Alexander like this.
  4. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Stilly Stalker,
    Back in the '60s I use to fish under the old bridge that ran over the inlet to the lagoon that feed water to the power plant there in Carlsbad. I also would free dive in that lagoon. I don't know if you can still get to the north end of that lagoon but I use to see a lot of Halibut over there. When the Grunion are running there are lot bigger fish stalking the waters at night. Can you say sharks? Watch yourself.

5. stilly stalker

I live RIGHT ON that lagoon!! There are a lot of halibut for sure!

6. stilly stalker

Not too worried about the sharks- but I do the "stingray shuffle" in the sand ALL THE TIME

7. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

That smart to do anytime your in the water in SoCal. I've never been hit but know a few guys that have. Good luck.

8. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Where's the pictures of all these halibut?

Alexander likes this.
  9. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Yeah man, been waiting!! :)

10. stilly stalker

:( I have only been catching "pancakes" which are 'butts well under legal to keep (22" down here) most have been in the 12" - 16" range. Fun, but not much of a fight.

Honestly- now is the season for sight fishing for corbina and spot fin croaker in the "flats" on the beach at low tide, and its UBER addicting. Ive caught bonefish, Ive caught permit.... this fishing is THE HARDEST sight fishing Ive ever done. I am hooked so damn bad. Every day Im out at the low tide swing, looking for tails and backs sticking out of the water in the shallows. Could stalk the beach for hours and only get a few quality shots for sight casting to fish. Otherwise its blind casting with sandcrab imitations out to troughs/holes in the surf
    I am headed out again this weekend to toss some big flies for halibut and leopard sharks. If the fish gods see fit to grant me fish worthy of pictures.... I will post pictures.

THIS is what I will be tossing this weekend, as there arent many grunion about. each fly is 4.5" in length.
    [​IMG]

11. stilly stalker

No need for stinger hooks here.... Halibut INHALE flies, and the leopard sharks are usually pretty good about going for the head. These are tied on 2/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks.

Alexander likes this.
  12. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    When I come to CA to vist my bro, you'll need to take me with you for a day of fish stalking from the beach !

13. stilly stalker

Done! I have high hopes for this weekend. Tides look good- surf isn't too big.

triploidjunkie and Alexander like this.
  14. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Media:
    Home Page:
    Damn, wish I'd seen this thread before I flew out last night! There was a ton of life in the water this AM surfing, but I'm fly rod free this weekend :/