The hunt for October South Sound searuns pays off!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Steve Knapp, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    I received a message from Roger just before leaving for New England that he had found some nice Searuns in his local haunts and it was time to fish. As soon as I got back I let him know I was basically available anytime/any day.... what do I even accrue sick time for if not to use it on October SRC?
    DSCN2410 (800x600).jpg
    Roger and I headed out around 0930, after the tide had a chance to change and start moving. The fishing wasn't hard, but it wasn't easy either. We picked up a couple of nice fish at the second beach we hit, but after that it slowed a bit. We found about a dozen smaller SRC throughout the morning. The average size of the SRC we were finding was about 10"-14", a bit on the small side of average down south.
    DSCN2413 (800x600).jpg DSCN2415 (800x600).jpg DSCN2416 (800x600).jpg DSCN2417 (800x600).jpg

Finally we headed for one of Rogers favorite beaches to look for what he affectionately calls, "the big boys!" As soon as we anchored up the set up looked beautiful, two current seams converging over a beautiful cobble beach with a nice drop off..... you couldn't ask for anything better.

We cast for a couple of minutes with not a bump... lift anchor drop us back 10 feet... nothing... another 10... Salmon jumps behind the boat... and I get a hard strike and miss. Roger starts laughing saying something about hooking a salmon, when a huge fish hammers my fly, starts kicking water everywhere and heads down current! Roger and I look at each other with eyes the size of saucers, and I say, it's got to be a salmon. As the fish peels line a knot forms in my running line at my feet and before I can grab it starts popping through my guides, just making through the tip top. The fish doesn't slow until I'm looking at backing. Meanwhile Roger has hooked up and is fighting a nice fish on the other side of the boat! As I start to fight the fish back to the boat, I get to the knot in my line. I can't get it through the tip top, I start to hand line the fish in, while Roger begins to work on my knot, but just as the fish comes up near the boat and we both see it, it pops off and slips back into the deep pool....Beautiful yellow fins and spots...wait.. WOW! It was a Searun! Roger says it went 20" when he saw it, I was too worked up to think about it.. Holy $#!@ I've never had a Searun fight like that! After missing on another hard strike I checked my hook, to find it straightened out! That was a monster Cutthroat! Neither Roger nor I have had a Searun straighten a SC-15 before, but with the combined power of fish and current it can happen.
    DSCN2419 (800x600).jpg DSCN2429 (800x600).jpg
    We cruised to one last spot as the current slowed. After a couple of minutes without any strikes, Roger said we better head out, but like true fisherman we continued to cast and joke instead of actually leaving. Two minutes later Roger is fighting a strong fish. The only fish of the area, and what turned out to be the biggest fish of the day! A fitting ending for a perfect day.
    DSCN2421 (800x600).jpg

2. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Great report man! Sounds like a blast. I lost a big salmon to a knot in my running line a couple weeks ago, so I feel your pain!

3. rotato

rotato Active Member

Nice fish
    As usual

We found some nice water yesterday as well in middle ma13
    Beautiful day
    Porpie and eagles everywhere

4. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Such a nice report. Fishing should be very good for next several weeks. Good luck!

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Great report!!!! Everytime I read one of your guys awesome SRC reports it makes me want to spend more time learning that fishery. Thanks for sharing.

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Great report Steve! I too got out again today. Love that fall weather. We caught lots of small fish today, but I finally managed to beach a beautiful 17 inch fish that again jumped like a rainbow. Those SRC sure know how to "shake that thing"! Sometimes it's scary. A nice 14 and lost another good fish. I still would like another coho or two still, but hey, let the good times roll...SRC!

7. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

[quote="Steve Knapp, post: 878046, member: 17161" View attachment 34027 quote]

Steve:

Great write-up as it captured events of the day very well. Plus the photo shows one of the reasons which I enjoy fly fishing on Puget Sound so much. It is hard to beat the mood of a windless day with low fog/clouds. Will be looking forward to your report and photos from your steelhead trip next week to the Grand Ronde River

The water temperatures readings in most locations were around 57 degrees F. When it gets to 55 degrees or slightly lower, the sea-run cutthroat should be "happy campers." They will hopefully be even more receptive particularly the "big boys to play" with C&R fly fishers. The sea-run cutthroat fishing should be great frrom now until mid-Nov. when it will be time to start thinking about the winter resident coho fisheries.

Steve and I used top water popper/sliders quite a bit but only got sea-run cutthroat interested in them at only a couple of locations. We got no hookup but "stung" a few fish. To say the least the top water action was a little dissppointing as I prefer to hook them on top rather than going down after them.

It was surprising that we did not see any sea-run cutthroat jump or swirl until later in the day. The fish were just there at locations with prime conditions(tidal current, water depth, and bottom type/structure). However. we did get quite a few hookups in strong tidal current conditions which normally is not the case.

Roger

8. bugboy9

bugboy9 Member

Sweet report Steve! What perfect weather to get out this week also. My favorite fishery. Man, to straighten out a SC-15 hook, that thing was a strong pig!

9. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Glad you guys enjoyed it, this is the best time of year, by far. I can't wait for the next adventure tomorrow.... going to try to get a coho in the river with a two hander. Should be interesting to say the least!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

10. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thumbs up! Grats on a great day! Way to get me stoked even more!