The "I Keep 'Em All" Fly Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Mike Etgen, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    Quick update:

Rob Ast's flies received yesterday. Again, nice work - and cleverly packaged. Includes the first tube fly we've received! Based on what I've received and those photographed here, there's no doubt we're going to be putting some nice packages up for auction.

At this point, we're still looking for the flies from (correct me if I'm wrong):

Ned Wright
    Ben Waldschmidt
    Daconil
    Kelvin

I've heard from Ben, Daconcil, and Kelvin.

When I get the rest of the flies photographed and put up, I will likely need help from some of you in identifying / naming your flies.

Thanks, all.

2. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    My salts are tubes Mike

3. Mike Etgen

Media:
    My bad, Daryle...

I hadn't taken them out for a closer look or would have spotted that. Thanks for setting me straight.

4. koolminx

koolminx Member

I just wanna bid on em. I can't tie no fly's, I ain't gots the darn skillz required... I wanna support the place they're being auctioned at, by bidding on em. The KCVDTF.

5. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    When are you going to post pics Mike?

6. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    mine are on there way
    Loch Dhu Salmon fly

7. Mike Etgen

Media:
    Koolminx, I removed your name from the contributors list. Sorry about the misunderstanding. It's good to know you're an interested bidder-to-be.

Guys:

I've sent a PM to Chris to ask for some assistance in setting up a Gallery under the Fly Swap category. I tried this evening but didn't have the smarts to get it done. Hopefully Chris will help me out.

If we get this set up quickly, I'll need some of you to help in identifying some of the flies - quickly.

Once I get the boxes from Ben, I'll start sorting and set the final packages. I may have time to set up a second gallery with shots of the three boxes, loaded and ready to go. It appears I'll have more flies than I needed, so will find a creatvie way to use most, but in some cases will weed out some duplicates (for example, REE sent 8 flies, 2 of each)

As soon as I have a handle or assistance on the gallery process, I'll be announcing this on the Events board to solicit bidders from WFF, based on the parameters I've already discussed.

If one of you has this gallery thing figured out, feel free to drop me a PM...

8. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    I'm going to name names Mike rest assured

9. Mike Etgen

Media:
    Well, I'm gonna give you a chance as early as tomorrow, Daryle. LOL. I'd guess that one of your flies is a Stimulator and another is a stone, but I'll allow you the honor.

All - The Gallery is set up and viewable. Look for "KCDVTF Fly Contributors" under Swaps. Thanks to Chris for being around and getting right back to me so we could launch the photos. So far, 33 of the flies are photographed, from the following:

Mumbles
    Kerfwappie
    Big_E
    Warren Perry

In a couple of cases, I recognized the fly or you told me what it would be. The rest need to be identifed and named by the contributors, so let me know quickly.

I hope to photograph Daryle's, Ron Elk's, Sourdough's and Rob Ast's tomorrow and will add them in. Since no one seems to object, the real names and home towns of the contributors will be included with the literature -propaganda I'll be putting together. I won't disclose specific addresses, but my literature - propaganda will encourage winning bidders to enter WFF, introduce themselves, and hunt you guys down for recipes, fishing tips, etc.

This is starting to come together nicely. Thanks a million!

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Mike, great collection thus far. Of the flies that I submitted those you numbered #7 (CLO), 9 (Ozcast), 10 (Arthur or Colton) and 12 (CLO) were received by me as bonus or duplicates in a swap. I think the (names) were the tyers. If they did not tie them and others did I apologize for incriminating the innocent and robbing from the originator. These might be ones I tied using their previous swap flies as a guide, I just can't remember. Sorry for the lack of truth in detail. Digging the new avatar too Mike!

11. Mike Etgen

Media:
    Thanks, Ed. I'll have to agree that including my wife does improve the avatar. It's obvious I'm one of those lucky guys who married above my station. ;)

12. Mike Etgen

Media:
    Kelvin's are in - three gorgeous Spey flies, and great additions to the Spey group. Thanks.

Tomorrow I'll have the balance of what we've received photographed and added to the Gallery, less those that aren't in yet or are already posted here.

I'll also be putting up information somewhere in the Main Forum by the weekend, but want to ask Chris if this would legitimately fall in the Events forum, since it's not actually a WFF or Sponsor-related event and also because we're not actually soliciting attendees for the KCDVTF workshop.

13. Mike Etgen

Media:
    Guys, we're almost there. Ben's 6 Speys arrived today along with the boxes. All flies are photographed and in the "KCDVTF Fly Contributors" Gallery except for Ben's, for which he included photos back in this thread. I'll see if I can get those in the Gallery, also.

I'm not the best photographer and don't feel I've done justice to some of the more delicate flies, and particularly Ron's.

All of them are first rate and I totally appreciate the contributions. Any help identifying the many unnamed flies will help.

Daconcil and Ned Wright's still due. Daconcil, one Spey will give us an even dozen.

14. Mike Etgen

Media:
    The auction is now announced on the Main Forum.

Ben's Spey flies are now included in the Gallery.

Ned's flies are on the way, so will still be able to get those in the trout selection.

The Spey and Salt assortments are packaged - easy because we've got just what we need.

The trout selection will be set at 36. We have so many good flies I can't bring myself to leave many out. Those that I leave out will only be as a result of atempting to provide a good mix and no reflection on the fly or tyer. For example, Ron Eagle Elk submitted two each of eight different flies.

I hope some of you all will bid or encourage your fly-fishing friends to do so. Three lucky bidders are going to score a nice package of flies.

Thanks, guys.

15. Mike Etgen

Media:
    Shameless attempt to keep this in front of the membership. Three WFF members have submitted bids on one or more fo the assortments. Please check out the Main Forum for a view of the individual flies contributed and the options for geting involved as a bidder.

16. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:

how and were can I bid on them?

17. Whit

Whit 19D

Media:
    sticky on the main forum explains all

18. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    thanks

19. Mike Etgen

Media:
    Just in case anyone missed it, I've noted the receipt of 7 more trout flies today, courtesy of Ned Wright. All beauties - some classics and some originals.

Check it out on the Main Forum announcment, or look for the photos tomorrow.

Thanks, Ned!

20. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    Mike thanks for having done this!