Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

The Imperfect

395 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  FinLuver 
#1 ·
Because of where I live I have no choice but to order materials online and when I saw an online photo of a new product flybox.co.uk was promoting I had to give it a try as it was Midge Wrap and from the photo it looked like a very thin translucent material. I ordered several colours but was keenly curious about fiery brown and dark claret. Upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised, a feeling that slowly waned as I started using the product. Over dark thread underbodies it looked fine but wrapped over lighter colours you could really pick out at what a lousy dye job was done on the material.

Nevertheless I kept experimenting and using the dark claret over silver tinsel turned out to be a real winner but you had to be strategic on where the poorly dyed section ended up on the hook shank. I took some photos but just can't get the results where you can see what I mean. The dark claret is really dark and the silver tinsel really shines through on the lightly dyed sections.

Alas, this is the risk we run ordering online but at least in this case the manufacturer's shortcomings turned out to be a blessing.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.