The "Invisible Fence"

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Gregg Lundgren, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Spent an enjoyable morning fishing on a MA 9 beach overlooking the Humpy Hollow armada today. I picked-up a Rio Outbound (short) from Evan, and it suits my 6 wt very nicely.

I did say fishing, and not catching right? OK, I'm good then.

Anyway, the invisible fence reference... The "invisible fence" forms a line, and has a sentry, usually a seal or a sea lion. They patrol this line parallel to the shore just beyond the distance of a well cast buzz bomb. All salmon will reside outside the line off this particular low gradient beach during a calm, sunny, day. The wise seal knows the salmon typically only cross inside the line in very low light or during choppy weather.

Any floating craft to venture outside the invisible fence will catch salmon. Even a small overloaded canoe that capsizes with four people aboard in chest high water; can be reloaded, penetrate the invisible fence, and commence catching salmon. Yes, the entertainment is free during pink season. This of course includes myself, demonstrating the very definition of insanity. Yes, I continued to expect a different result; and it just didn't happen today.

Score: boats many, beach anglers few. Tight lines all!
  2. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +356 / 0
    Ha! I've seen this fence but you nailed it with your description.