The "joys" of dubbing angora goat

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Apr 22, 2013.

1. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,031 / 1
    I'm tying some #14 stimulators up and have relearned the joys of dubbing angora goat. The Kaufmann's recipe for this fly calls for colored antron for the body and usually amber angora goat for the head.

My goat must be too short now to spin around the thread as I've tried spinning it with my fingers, using dubbing wax, and also dubbing loops. None of which work well.

I may make things simple and go to an amber antron but I do like the scraggly look of the angora goat.

Any thoughts of easier methods of dubbing goat?

Bill
  2. Hans Weilenmann Active Member

Ratings: +358 / 0
    Split thread
    GAT likes this.
  3. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ahhhh.... a collapsing loop. I like it.
  4. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +822 / 0
    angora is difficult to dub to the thread, its too slippery and it just doesnt mat up and twist like hares ear or synthetic dubbing. I always use a tight dubbing loop then pick it out.
    David Dalan likes this.
  5. James W. Member

Ratings: +18 / 0
    Check out how Scott Howell dubs angora goat in this video. It might be helpful. Maybe.
  6. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    I pulled out a new hunk of angora goat and found the old stuff had gotten too short. Short goat is hard do spin around a thread.
  7. speyflyfisher Member

Ratings: +12 / 0
    Since your tying a dryfly and it's the section under the hackle that in my opinion is just to give some color. I'd sub it out and use some easy to dub synthetic material.
    Now, I've seen a very soft angora (rabbit) yarn (like the sweater) but that's not any thing like the angora goat dubbing that I have. I wonder if the pattern called for the former not the latter.

Bob
  8. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +775 / 0
    Wasn't angora used as a seal sub? Anyhow, on the patterns where I use it, I make a loop of floss, stuff the angora in, spin-wrap-pick.
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,686 / 0
    I'd go with Hans' suggestion. If you're just using it at the head, the approach seems the most logical.
  10. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +505 / 0
    Yes, not that many years ago seal was almost impossible to get so angora or SLF was the best sub available. Last time I went to Canada I picked up a bunch of seal fur because I couldn't get it here, now it's easy to get online.

Seal is even harder to dub, but looks so much better. And a dubbing loop or spilt thread is the easiest way to go.