The Joys of standing over the undersea galaxy...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by wadin' boot, Apr 28, 2014.

1. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Media:
    Home Page:
    Inspired by Roger's new testament to topwater I tied a squid-like popper, and fished it for naught. I have had no luck for SRC on poppers. Largemouth bass, yes, SRC no. I am partly convinced there is a Leland/Roger conspiracy there, something like Pink Worms. (But Boot, you really must tie and try a pink worm popper... with sequins...)

I went back to the familiar. The darkside, the subsurface and it was not long before fish were being released, intentionally and long distance. I did take a page out of Roger's book though, the subsurface Chum Baby was tied with a clear sequin first, then gold bead, then dark brown with some tinsel wraps. The action on the tail was neat, and if you watched close, the fly would change the angle of retrieve dependent on current, strip pace etc just a little independent of my intent, like the chum baby had a little rebel allegiance.

Up close the sequin is folded, the net effect is a convex look like the window housing on Vader's Tie Fighter. Next experiment will be concavity, sorta like reversing beadheads to corrupt streamlining. Keeping on the Star Wars kick, the water was so clear and still and calm that visibility, standing up in the kayak and paddling, was outstanding. Down below, on the serpentine verges where the eelgrass and the sands meet, flat fish shot out, like little Millenium Falcons hauling ass. There is joy in watching a flatfish move, materializing out of the ocean floor's hyperspace, shooting off with that goofy undulatory motion.

I paddled to places I'd never been, new land slides and trees and general mess had trapped a little more lettuce than anyplace else, and beneath the lettuce where more schools of chum fry than sites less sheltered. Below them were fresh rocks and muck and shooting about the place were schools of pile perch. They expressed no interest in rebel chum baby or chum fry schools. Big, big, schools of these perch, flopping over on their sides now and then sparkling like little silver moons. Starfish around em, Dungees lurking here and there like red planets...

2. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh good. So very good.

wadin' boot likes this.
  3. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sweet post boot! Sounds like a quality day :)

wadin' boot likes this.
  4. rotato

rotato Active Member

Nice report Boot
    I also noticed a lot of new slides
    More cover and more minerals for all

wadin' boot likes this.
  5. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Boot:

Great entertaining post as usual! I am sure that it would be a "hoot" to fish with "boot";). Sent you a PM concerning a fishing trip.

Roger

wadin' boot likes this.
  6. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

We all get to take a little trip every time "Boot" writes!
    Thanks for the journey!

wadin' boot likes this.