The Lochsa

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by GAT, Mar 30, 2014.

1. GAT

GAT Active Member

Here's a short clip of a fishing trip that John, Rocky and I took to the Lochsa River in Idaho a long, long time ago.

I was concerned about posting this clip because the Lochsa, at the time, was kind'a a secret fishery.

I asked some of the members here if it was still considered a "secret spot" and I was told that some fly fishing clubs hold outings at the river. So hell, if fly clubs hold outings on the river, it isn't exactly a "secret spot". Besides, as someone else pointed out to me, the river is quite remote and it is unlikely it will suddenly become very popular.

The highway follows the Lochsa so access is excellent. Most folks don't target the Lochsa but take the highway that follows the river while headed somewhere else.

As the slide show is of photos taken decades ago, I don't know if the fishing is still as good as it was when we where there but at that time, dry fly fishing for the cutts was about as good as it can get.

Our trip was during a September and in the three days we fished the river, we saw no one else on the water... lots of folks driving by, but we were the only ones who stopped to fish.

The clip is about 5 minutes long.

(I am just about finished scanning my fishing slides so I don't know what I'll find next... maybe nothing. I'm down to scanning shots at fisheries that really don't include enough images for a stand alone slide show. Right now, I'm working on one for a lake that was once fantastic and now is nothing... time will do that to a fishery... still, it includes a lot of nice fishing shots)

ScottP, wavejim, enlightened and 6 others like this.
  2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

finally a fly fishing video with good music...

3. GAT

GAT Active Member

Finding the best music for the clips is the hardest part... I've spent a fortune downloading MP3s for background music at Amazon.com :D

4. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

yeah if i see another fly fishing video with rap , metal or some fort of new age sentimental crap music i think i am going to scream...:)

Steve Call and FinLuver like this.
  5. Pete Bridge

Pete Bridge Member

Still plenty of other secrets in that area

6. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

it would take a lifetime to explore every stream in that area that looks fishy

Pete Bridge likes this.
  7. GAT

GAT Active Member

And I'd just as soon keep them that way...

Pete Bridge likes this.
  8. Eric Denny

Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

I head that the lochsa had man eating cats and pack of wolves that will run you down! I'm not ever going to fish there.

Russ Kendall and flybill like this.
  9. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Nice video! When I moved to montana in 89 I can remember driving over the pass on a 4th of july weekend and pulling into a campground where there were only 2 other parties camped. Ahh the good old days.

10. GAT

GAT Active Member

Actually, the year Gin and I took the long way to YNP on our annual fishing trip, there was a bear problem on the Lochsa.

We planned to stay at the Lochsa Lodge and fish the river a couple days before heading over to YNP.

During our journey, we decided to stop and fish the river before we drove up to the lodge. When we came back from the river, we found a sow and three cub black bear on and around our Explorer. This of course kind'a freaked out Virginia. Especially when I started yelling at the bear to get the hell off our rig.

She figured I was a dead man and started heading up the highway. At this point in time, I'd been around black bear at East Lake and knew that even a mom and her cubs could be scared away with noise. The bear ignored my yelling and waving of my rod but a semi truck drove by and scared off mom so the cubs scampered after her.

When we checked into the lodge, they told us the black bear had migrated down from the higher elevations in search of food because a harsh winter had killed off the berries they normally relied on for food. Every night, black bear would raid the lodge area looking for food. There were bear prints everywhere.

Gin wasn't too keen about fishing a river that was over ran with black bear so we didn't fish the Lochsa but continued on over to YNP.

So... no cougars or wolves but there certainly was a bear problem that year.

11. Idaho steel

Idaho steel Active Member

There are still lots of bears up there, and not just blackies either...

Eric Denny likes this.
  12. Eric Denny

Yeah so bears wolves and big cats really not a good spot to fish and I heard the fish are not that big!! Just telling you what I heard!

13. Thanks, Gene. That was a nice Lochsa interlude.

D

14. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Gene, great slide show and ++ on the music.

15. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

You forgot snakes, spiders and tweakers!

16. Russ Kendall

Russ Kendall Member

Great stuff Gene. Way to stoke the itch to string up the rods. My favorite photo was of you (or whoever it was) was the one where you are so peacefully resting on the rocks. You can't buy that kind of relaxation and enjoyment.

17. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Lots of Black Bears on Rock Creek also. Was sitting in my buddies van resting and a half grown bear came up the trail I was just on. Me being stupid, I jumped out of the van to take a picture of it and it turned and ambled off through the bushes. This was about 15 years ago. I haven't been in the woods to much lately as there aren't a lot of trees where I fish.

18. Eric Denny

I swear every places I fish any more has something tic's, bears, wolves, sneaks or tweakers and to top it off I never catch any fish! I mean if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck. I would love to show you guys some of these spots but I don't want to be blamed for you being bit by something!!;-)

flybill likes this.
  19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I had the same kind of luck when I fished in that state. I'd go fishing, but it was called that and not catching.

20. Eric Denny

I guess what I'm doing is really going over a lot of ppls heads.