NFR The Masters

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

That approach shot of Cabrera's on the last hole, to force a playoff was clutch! Did you see that stat just before he hit that shot? In the 10 yrs playing the Masters, Cabrera had never birdied the last hole. Then he hits that shot... I'm happy for Adam though. I was actually cheering for him, as the underdog. That was fun!!!

dryflylarry likes this.
  2. Josh Stroud

Josh Stroud Active Member

Great ending, I am glad Scott pulled it off. Awesome for your first major to be the Masters!

3. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

As Mark Twain once said, "Golf...a good walk wasted."

As for me, the only good thing about golf is that it's a dying sport.

4. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    What a finish! PGA tour golf is such a great game to watch.

5. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Uh... you might want to do a little research before making that kind of a statement. It's growing by the billions over the last decade.

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I only watched the last 9 holes of the tournament. But, it was great!!

7. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

You might well take a look yourself. Golf hours have steadily declined, far more courses have closed than opened, and the PGA (and industry associations) are desperate to attract young people to the sport. It's in trouble...that started before the great recession.

8. Eric Candelaria

Eric Candelaria Member

I have to side with Krusty here. A Few comments from the Taylormade CEO this past weekend:

"I don't think he's had any effect on the economics of golf," Mark King, CEO of TaylorMade-Adidas Golf, said of Woods as part of a recent interview with CNBC.
    During the interview, King was asked if Woods, who has won three times already this year on the PGA Tour, benefits the sport as a whole when he plays well. King was candid in explaining that while benefits may stretch to some ancillary portions of the industry, the trickle-down effect does not always reach the realm of equipment.
    "Golf has been on a 16-year continual decline since Tiger came into golf," he noted. "Now, has he had an impact on people watching TV because he's maybe the greatest athlete of our generation? Absolutely.
    "But are those people running out, taking golf vacations, buying a home on a golf course, buying a new driver? No, they're not," continued King, who became president of TaylorMade Golf in 1999 and added the title of CEO in 2002. "So Tiger, play well, get people watching TV, sell more spots, but it's not helping us."

No doubt the golf industry is taking a hit much like any other hobby/sport industry is during our economic down turn. The money is just not out there being spent on recreational pleasures like it was prior to 2008. I know I have read a few articles on golf courses and the economics. Not sure pro or con if the number of courses closing is equal to or greater than the number opening. But, I would think in today’s market opening a course in an area that is full of courses already would probably be a bad idea. Being a previous resident of San Diego County in So Cal I had 25 courses within a 20 minute drive of the house. They opened like wild fire in the late 90's and early 2000's. I can't imagine they are all doing as well now. But, give the economy a little uptick and I know they will have full parking lots by 8:00 every weekend. With that said, I do enjoy a nice round anytime the weather or water is not in the best shape. But a guy has to keep his priorities and be sure his drift boat and fly fishing gear is ready in case the water gets in shape!

9. Josh Stroud

Josh Stroud Active Member

Well, since Tiger is sponsored by Nike - it would be hard to say that Taylor Made as a whole would be selling more because of his performance. Assuming people were buying golf equipment because of Tiger, I would think they would be buying the equipment he uses. Also, I have a very hard time believing golf has been a decline since Tiger Woods. Lets face it, golf is expensive. Any decline over the years is probably due to the economy. Tiger has definetly captured a whole new audience to the game. Some of these loyal fans probably cannot justify paying expensive green fees on a regular basis. However, they probably still watch the sport and play when they can afford it.

10. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    The golf explosion of the late 90's flooded certain regions with courses. The bubble has popped and now the green fees have dropped. The courses are hungry for revenue and getting a tee time is easy. I will fish the Nisqually in the morning and then golf Ft. Lewis in the afternoon quite often in Aug./ Sept. IF i get some tail that nite i call it a TRIFECTA! (coho on ice, birdies on the course and the sweet smell of honey on my pillow.)

I wouldn't call golf a dying sport. Its tough to play at a decent level and that frustrates the weekend warriors that want immediate levels of improvement... its too complex of a game to get fast action results overnite. IF par golf was easy fly fishermen would do it more often.;)

freestoneangler likes this.
  11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    FSA, You got me on that, regarding the relative logic of either golf or fly fishing. Touche'!

I think I read that golf peaked well before the recession hit. Too many courses built and opening to abundant, affluent boomers and yuppies. Growth stopped once that market was saturated, kind of like what the industry reports about fly fishing. I guess mountain climbing and whitewater kayaking were growth sports 20 and 30 years ago, but began declining earlier as boomers, even tho affluent, began aging, and those activities don't cater to older participants even as well as golf and fly fishing. It's interesting to read how population demographics influences what becomes the next "big thing." Gen Xers and Millenials are into I-pods, I-phones, I-pads, and I-whatevers.

Sg

Krusty likes this.
  12. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Golf did indeed start faltering well before the recession. One of the biggest drivers (no pun intended) is the change in lifestyles. And drivers have certainly gotten much bigger over the years!

There was a time when dad could spend an entire Saturday or Sunday away from the family (and don't fool yourself, it has always been a predominantly male activity).... But mom (who nowadays has usually spent the week pulling in income herself) isn't going to tolerate carrying the whole parenting load through the weekend. Hell, she's probably still shouldering the bulk of the domestic chores at the same time. Just ain't going to fly.

My mom made a living in the golf industry for over 20 years. My old man was a golf fanatic. In those days it was hard to find a moderately affluent adult male that didn't golf....the sport was becoming 'democratized'. I spent much of my early life on a golf course (when I wasn't hunting or fishing). By the age of 15 I suspect I had probably played as many rounds as most duffers do over their lifetimes. It might even be the reason I detest the activity....about the only good thing about golf is that I'd rather see a golf course than a housing development in its place (an increasingly common phenomena as failing courses are sold off).

That was the heyday of golf...but even then, towards the end of her golfing days, the course professionals were seeing the handwriting on the wall...fewer and fewer young people coming into the sport...and a gradual transition of golfers to playing 9 holes rather a full 18 (and not doing the requisite hours sitting in the clubhouse bar, bullshitting about their game).

Golf, somewhat like flyfishing, doesn't fit today's hectic lifestyle.

Is it dying? Maybe not, but it's seriously wounded.

13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Well, the way fisheries are heading these days, it may very well see a resurgence...I hear a Sage One, 9 weight makes an absolutely wicked driver shaft :D

Krusty likes this.