The new Battenkill click pawl has arrived

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, May 2, 2013.

1. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Media:
    I got mine during that half off weekend. Love it and replaced my drift.

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

So the reel has no drag other than the noise maker??? That's a bit archaic... kind'a like drum brakes on a formula 1 racer.

Now that they bought out SA, maybe they will figure out how to install a functional drag system for their reels that doesn't sound like a worn out starter motor :D

3. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Media:
    i just realized that I have the bbs. not sure what this new click paw is replacing...i'm not up to date on their reels.

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    BBS = Battenkill Bar Stock. Apparently the new Battenkill with click-pawl drag replaces earlier cast (not machined) version with the same name.

K

5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Nice package Ive. Keep checking that mailbox.

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Leland, yes, yes it is ... just poking fun. I don't really care what fly reel anyone uses. :cool:

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

It is cool, retro.

I started using my old reel from 1995 that came with my first sage fly rod. It looks similar to your reel, but it is cast aluminum.

You can't beat the music it makes when a triploid takes a long run on lake Nunully. Everyone on the lake can hear it.

Thumbs up to your latest toy!

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I've owned three Battenkills since I started flyfishing. Two have worked out great, one not so much.
    The smaller sized disk and large arbor have both been good for trout. The larger disk I had on my 8 wt was a complete failure and was returned.
    Likely because it was cast rather then machined, I've never seen a reel flex so much while putting pressure on larger fish. That thing ended up eating a couple of fly lines that got caught between the spool and line guide when the reel flexed.

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    The difference between cast and machined aluminum reels, all other things being equal, is not significant. A large thread on this topic was discussed on a fly forum that preceded this one, the original VFS (Virtual Fly Shop) operated by Fly Fisherman magazine. Cutting to the chase, I was contacted by a metallurgist from a university in Mississippi who saw the thread. The upshot is that machined aluminum (6160 or similar) is stronger than cast aluminum, but it is by so little that a large number of fishermen fishing the respective reels for a lifetime each would not experience a statistically significant difference in breakage. Both cast and machined reels will break if you slip and fall on a gravel bar, the reel hits a hard surface at the wrong angle.

Consequently the quality factors that are more likely to influence the enjoyment of owning a particular reel are things like close tolerances so that there is less wobble and vibration, which detract from longevity. Other factors that affect enjoyment or pride of ownership are brand name and price paid, because people are vain and because certain brands and price points are associated with quality.

Sg

miyawaki likes this.
  11. wichaka

wichaka Active Member

Machined reels of the same size tend to be lighter weight than those that are cast.

It all comes down to what you want as to weight for balance, and then there's the looks of the product side of things.