The new city dump at Sky.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by stewart dee, Dec 20, 2009.

1. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

So I have been looking at a LOT of garbage dumped along the river. The Skykomish in Sultan, I have seen a single wide trailer or camper or watever it is cut up into large sections and dumped at the trailhead. Lots of cheep beer cans, clothing, coolers, old tents riped apart by the high water, Toilet paper and turds, etc. I think it is the worst that I can remember! So I was thinking maby a few of us could find time over the next week or so to call the city or the dept. of ecology and inform them of the mess. I am sure that someone has the job to enforce this clean-up. Thanks for looking, let me know if I am out of line on this. I think this is serious.

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Or you could go clean it up yourself, as opposed to relying on bureaucracy.

3. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    Pan- It's simply too much clean up for one man to do.

Stewart- I'd start by e-mailing http://www.friendsofthetrail.org/ and see if they, or another group they know of have something planned for that area.

4. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    Call the Health department, or what's left of it in Snoho County.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

5. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    iagree

6. Finfollower

Finfollower New Member

You can always try to talk to the county jail. If they have a chain gang they may be able to send a detail of workers to clean up the area. It's free, good for the environment, and a nice way to remind tweaker's that it's not nice to be bad.

7. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    Why don't you guys organize a saturday float/trash pick up with a bunch of guys? Probably could get a shop to help out and promote? Post it on here in the main board and you should get a good turnout. It happens several times a year on the Yakima, no reason it can't be done over there.

8. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Nice idea, but there is just so much and if Tim is talking about where I think, then there would just be more there soon anyway. This is a truck bed camper and some other junk that looks like it was dumped and gone through. It's right be the road, so the city, county, state, whoever should be well aware of it. Sad, but that's how I feel about it. Just like the Cedar, we can clean it up and two days later it looks like the city dump.

I'll participate if someone organizes it, but I won't take the lead... I will take a pic and post it next time I'm up that way though.

9. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

All good ideas, Thanks. I will do my best to get something going on this and anyone else that is willing to make some calls feel free.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    In the past, Sean Beauchamp has set up a cleanup or two on the Sky with some success. I say we get a group of us together, spend a day cleaning, and pack the rods along for good measure

11. NomDeTrout

NomDeTrout Fly Guy Eat Pie

Media:
    i'm willing to help out. a good day spent doing some cleaning and fishing sounds good to me.

12. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

I have an e-mail in for the friends of the trail. See if we can round up some help.

13. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Snohomish Co. supervisor is now involved in this.

14. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    it doesnt take too many people realistically. all you need is a couple trucks and 5 guys who are ready to work and you can knock out ben howard rd in 3 hours. i love that river and hate to see how bad its gotten trashed in the past 4 years. the influx of tweakers in the area is honestly most responsible for the mess. some of that stuff is hazardous to even handle.

i'd be in for a cleanup and could easily have help.

15. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Media:
    I'm down that's my home river and I'm always game to clean it up.

16. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Ok sounds good, I have a truck and a couple of buddys. The score on help from the county seems like a run around session. I did find out that county workers won't go in the woods without police protection. Sounds like some campers live in the woods...

17. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

I will contact anyone else that would like to help so after christmas is the plan.Thanks.

18. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

I will supply bags and gloves. If you like your own gloves feel free. Drinking water will be on site.

19. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    I'm down. Just give me some notice this time. Last year ya'll did it on superbowl sunday and I didn't have time to tell 20 people to not show up at my house. Yeah, be carefull back there, that area bleeds tweakers/crackheads and junkies. I found one flipping around on the ground coverd in vomit and apparently going through DTs there last winter.

20. wolverine

wolverine Member

Are you talking about the "camp ground" on N Skyview Dr? Thats been the home for drunks, tweakers, and any other kind of junkie for years. Why the sheriffs department doesn't clean them out of there is way beyond me. I guess they figure if they stay around there they aren't making trouble away from the Hwy 2 corridor. After every flood the trash (tarps, mattresses, junk) gets washed down stream and ends up in the trees.