NFR The no fishing fishing report.. from downtown Bellevue!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by flybill, Aug 29, 2012.

1. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

So many of you know that I now work at Orvis in Bellevue.. well tonight at our free fly casting class in the Bellevue Park, we were told we aren't allowed to cast on the pond there.. by a private security guard who we don't even know if he was with the park... yes, sad but true!

But there's more....

I've helped out with this for the past two years and never had a problem, other than being told by a lady last year that we were harassing the ducks! True too!

Anyway, we wrapped up the class early and hung out and smoked cigars, at least Leland and I did while we waited for one of the kids to get picked up by his dad.. Sort of an impromptu sit in!

[IMG]

Just had to share, since I really don't post much these days and found it amusing... of course none of the people throwing balls or frisbees were told to stop, but our fly lines were a danger to the public.. :)

So be careful out there, or get your carry permit for your fly rod and yarn.. I'll be back out this weekend to "test" the ruling or thumb my nose at the man and you may even see it on the news..

FlyBill - wanted in Bellevue now for un-lisenced use of a fly rod with yarn and duck harrasser!

ps - does this go on my permanent record?
    Steffan Brown and triploidjunkie like this.
  2. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    Damn bad luck, you're tainted now for good....:)
    flybill likes this.
  3. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    How bizarre. Is this Bellevue Downtown Park? It sounds like the guard was being a might overly officious. I'm coming through this weekend and I just might have to get in some casting practice in Bellevue.
  4. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Yep! That's the park we were at.. might see you there!
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,647 / 0
    Work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are you doing working. I thought you wanted to be a fishing bum.
    flybill likes this.
  6. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    A couple of phone calls from the store manager and the Rent-a-Dick will be guarding the ducks.
  7. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,255 / 0
    Security harrasses us when we fish near the dam, even well below the can line. I love ignoring security. I don't pay attention until the cops come, and barely then. The dam security is a running joke around here. They're in the paper at least once a week for turning in one of their own workers for being in a restricted area.
  8. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +986 / 0
    I'm glad they are targeting the harmless fly fishers and not the kids from the teen center smoking weed right next to the playground.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  9. Darryl Pahl Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    About 20 years ago I was helping my boss load some high-end computers into his car one late Sunday night to take to a conference. This was back in the day when computers were worth about $15K and were really heavy, so we parked on the grass next to a dark and out of the way back door that was closest to our offices at the hospital where we worked. I had been doing yard work all day so was pretty scruffy - my boss wasn't any better dressed.

Sure enough, some security guard comes huffing over, and I thought, OK, here we go. All he had to say was "Hey - you can't park that car on the grass - move it!"

Seems like that job hasn't evolved much since then.
    Dan Nelson and Patrick Gould like this.
  10. ndmslm Member

Bothell Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I was at martha lake (am) park mid april cold out! Practicing spey casting. Park ranger come said no fishing in the swimming area. No swimmers to cold.I said I'm not fishing I'm practicing casting and showed him the yarn on the end of my leader. He said "oh! no practicing casting in swimming area" not evan mention fishing was closed! That ended my practice.. What are you going to do
  11. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    Was he dressed in a white polo shirt, with a bike helmet on, riding a segway? If so, that's probably KDC security, aka mall cop from Bell Square. Last I checked, those guys shouldn't have sh*t for jurisdiction in a public park. Next time, get his information and have Reggie write a letter to the city about it.
    Jim Wallace likes this.
  12. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2
    Sounds like the security guard made up a new rule "on the fly".
  13. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +61 / 1
    I think we all should have a casting in, set a time to meet in the park and all start casting. Call the news, we are people too.
  14. Bruce Baker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    I'd recommend making a call to the City of Bellevue.
  15. flyfisher228 Member

Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I like the casting in idea. Set a date & time and I can bring about 12 people myself. This is our city. Let's reclaim it!
  16. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +390 / 0
  17. Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I have to ask:
    Who made that rule?
    Why?
    And who was enforcing it?

I'd guess there is no fishing at that cement pond ( no fish) Casting looks like fishing so folks who don't know the difference get confused. I would think casting on the lawn would be perfectly permissible, so on the pond should also be.

I'd go back and sooner or later folks will get used to it.
  18. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Ha, that brings back memories! Fall of '68 I was beginning my freshman year at U of W, and I went over to Bellevue to play poker with some friends whom I hadn't seen for a couple of years. In the wee hours, as the poker game ended, our clouded judgement sent us on a mission...to wake up the security guards in Bellevue Square! Sure enough, the one we found was dozing in his rig. We put him back on the job in short order, with bright headlights and a honking horn. He didn't like that, so he called the cops. They showed up pronto and pulled us over. But they thought it was sort of funny, and let us go!
    I'll bet they put those guards on Segways and said, "Ha, we'd like to see you try to sleep on the job on that thing!"

19. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +407 / 0
    Kemper runs the show over there, so call if it makes you feel better, but it's not going to get you anywhere.
  20. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +669 / 0
    Sometimes the best layed plans just don't work out !!!!!