The outrageous cost of spey rods

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by luckybalbowa, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    The biggest expense that the big manufactures incur is the back cover of every single fly fishing magazine in the world, millions of pounds of glossy catalogs, the super high quality pics inside them...advertising aint cheap, this type of advertising in part fueled the modern boom in fly fishing, it payed for the magazines and tv shows that promoted the products and the same time the destinations. I once heard a guy from a major company that starts with S scream at another guy..."You dont know what we did for this industry, we made it what it is!" True perhaps, but not necesairly somthing to brag about.
    Jim

2. jetstream

jetstream New Member

That is the bad thing about double handers not many shops want to stock two dozen rods as they are not what brings in paying customers River Run being the odd ball shop,that guy is possessed with the spirits of the river spey

Long may this continue with guys like Aaron,Joe public will definately be the winners, because once you have tried something that is not suitable, you certainly wouldn't buy it.The opportunity to try before you buy is a great idea,this is why the guy has a great reputation in the Speyworld.

3. Big K1

Big K1 Large Member

Media:

Here! Here!:beer2:

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well if anybody heads over to Aaron's to test out his spey rods on the river you won't find any of the cheaper brands there. He uses the higher end rods. And back to rods,I got a L.L. Bean catalog and now they have spey rods. Cheap also. But I still won't get back into it.

Jim

5. FT

FT Active Member

I dunno about Aaron not having the lower end 2-handed rods at his shop because I've seen Cortland 2-handers there that sell for $200.00 or thereabouts, and I've seen Redingtons that sell for about $350.00. Seems to me these are lower priced 2-handers. I believe Aaron has about 55 2-hand rods in his shop at any given time and they range from the low priced ones (great rods for newcomers to spey casting to get) up to the high priced rods of T&T, Sage, Loop, and Meiser.

6. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:
    I have been lurking and reading this and I guess I will add a little.
    I have written on this subject many times and there are two truths when it comes to fly and spey rods.
    Distance sells fly rods.
    Performance sells Speyrods.

Graphite composite construction cost money.
    A overhead rod are made to work in two dimensions, fore and aft where a speyrod is made to work in three dimensions.
    Working in circular plane adds several things into the rod mainly how fast dose the rod dampen out (( this is how fast when graphite tube is ovulated how fast dose it return to round) and how far can you bend the rod before it become useless and folds.)
    Quick is a new word to rate performance of spey rods and should be looked as a key factor when looking to purchase a spey rod.

River Run Anglers sell Speyrods that perform.
    Over the year I am ask to test many rods and some rod make it and others do not.
    Rest assured if an inexpensive rod performs to our liking we try to carry the brand.
    It is not just my opinion but also that of the Speyclan, which is brought into the circle.
    Right now I sell more top end rod to the Average Speycaster than any thing else.
    Most of the Casters can only afford to get on rod and they will get the best that their money can buy.
    :cool: