"The Passion Of Dick Cheney" by Matt Labash

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by papafsh, Sep 17, 2008.

1. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm not trying to start a political dust-up, or offend any Democrats here on the board, and I know asking you to read anything from "The Daily Standard" may well bring shivers to your bones, as reading anything on the daily koss would me.

But this article, written by Matt Labash, is interesting from a non-confrontational viewpoint as fellow fly-fishers. It's going to be a challenge for some to read, but give it a shot anyway.
    CAUTION! do not read any other articles except the one by Mr. Labash, if you are an Obama fan, as they may totally send you into a full-on snit, and ruin your day....lol!

www.thedailystandard.com

LB
    PS: This really is about FF

2. Runejl

Runejl Josh

Media:
  3. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:
    Just read the whole thing on-line. Great article about a truly devoted fisherman.:thumb:

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Even some slime bags enjoy flyfishing. No crime in that. However to say Cheney's gotten a bad rap on the environment is untrue. He's earned it in full measure. He's a scumbag of the highest order. Enjoying flyfishing doesn't mitigate that in the least. Gee, if a serial killer enjoyed flyfishing, should that be mitigating evidence at trial and sentencing?

Sg

5. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
  6. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well as usual and not too unexpectedly the haters, as always, are quick to respond.
    No one here actually knows Mr. Cheney except by the counsel they keep. You have your views and I have mine.
    But I thought the article interesting for the simple connection we all share, fly fishing.
    I concede that I over estimated the ability of some to be civil, as amply proven here.
    Name calling, open mockery, and vile language is always the best way to make your point and prove your superior grasp of reality....or is it?
    Sorry to have burdened any of you with this, please excuse the interruption.

PS: sorry for the link screwup.

LB

7. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    honestly, what do you expect? people who are passionate about wild fish and their habitat to fawn over someone who does not have a great environmental record because he happens to be a fly-fisherman... even if he might be good at it. it's nice that he works behind the scenes to protect "his" fishing waters, but then does the opposite for "ours". but why care about protecting fishing for everyone when you can fly to the rio grande, ponoi and babine or someother unspoiled place.

it was an interesting article, but the tone was odd to me. the author sure focused on numbers and made it feel like that was also the focus of darth vader :) i'm surprised the author could even enjoy himself while fishing, what with making sure he didn't lose count of all the fish he'd caught all year.

what the hell, i think i'll head up to tatooine (wyoming) and try to catch a fish or two after work... in the author's honor i hope tokeep track of the numbers of fish i catch.

8. Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor Member

I may not like the man's politics...but I can appreciate his "passion" for flyfishing.

9. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Straight quote from the article:

"But Cheney is also known as a fisherman, and I am a fishing slut with little or no moral center."

Awesome, the man must be heard!

10. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    hmmm... interesting choice of words.

Cheney's public record is quite well documented and it leads to justifiable criticism of his environmental record. In addition to the public record, there is extensive documentation of his behind the scenes record from reliable sources, despite the tremendous effort he takes to keep his impact on public policy hidden from view.

11. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I agree. Why is it "hating" to criticize these days?

It seems to say you disagree is to say you "hate".

This is serious issue in America right now and makes people think others are unlike them when we are all mostly the same.

But than again maybe I am "crying" or "tearing" if I feel this way.

I am not okay with people saying you have your views and I have mine. We need to find a way to actually debate and not argue.

Thanks for the link papfish, it was informative and interesting.

12. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    I sure as hell hope cheney doesn't "carry" while flyfishing in bear country. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dick, get some bells and pepper spray, leave the 44 mag at home please. :eek:

13. LT

LT Member

Media:

Amen!!!!

14. Smooth

Smooth Guest

I am learning to ignore certain posts...I am learning... but this warrants comment because of the apparent wish to do nothing more than get some reactions out of people then criticize them for reacting. Nice...who really cares if Cheney flyfishes? Can he help our sport? I doubt it...and I personally am not proud of any association that might be imagined with him because of shared interest.

A Passive-aggresive action is one of the worst that humans practice.
    Passive-aggresive people love to throw other folks reactions, to their blatant attempt to stir the pot, back in their face.

And talk about name calling Papa...
    "Haters"...c'mon...if that isn't name calling...what is?

It is Passive-aggresive people that should hang their head in shame for what they know they are doing...inciting negative reactions and then pointing their finger at the ones who raised their voice.

15. Fishful Thinking

Fishful Thinking Member

Interesting how, generally, when a Democrat provides facts and reasoned statements against the positions of the Republicans, the Democrat is "having a snit," and a "hater." I guess it just shows how Democrats seem to have emotionally evolved past the behavior of a gradeschooler. And just like gradeschoolers who lack the emotional maturity to reason through complex arguements, Republicans tend to fall back on what they know - bullying tactics and bluffs. Just look at Palin when she was asked about the Bush doctrine. She simply didn't know what it was (and she should have). So, she just tried to BS her way past the moment instead of showing a little humility and admitting to her lack of knowlege. Sorry to make such generalizations, but the more I read and hear and see, the more this pattern plays out. Democracy isn't about taking sides or standing fast in the face of popular opinion 'cause you think God's on your side. It isn't about chanting "USA,USA" to drown out your critics. It isn't about namecalling or labling people "haters" just because they have a difference of opinion. These are the types of behaviors exhibited in totalitarian regemes. No, democracy is about reasoned discussion and debate. It's about protecting the people of this country. And not from made-up military threats, either ("Saddam tried to kill my daddy") but from real threats like our collapsing economy, environmental damage, energy dependance on other countries (most of whom hate us anyway), our fall in the international community (we used to be the world's hero, now we're the world's bully). Let's fix our domestic problems and stop falling in international ranks in deplomacy, education, standard of living, etc. Calling names won't solve the problems, BRAINS will.

Rich

16. GoDeep

GoDeep "Fish hard and fish often"

Well said Rich:thumb:

17. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Sorry Rich, but I'm calling bullshit on you for this..I've found the exact opposite to be true..anytime you question a democrat they label you as a redneck and scream for your censorship....That all said, lets get something straight...This is NOT the republican party..That party was destroyed by harboring the religious right and getting away from what true republicans were all about..Which IMHO was less government pandering, balanced budgets and making us a strong and vital country...
    I liked McCain 8 years ago and would have strongly supported him against Bush...Chenney has done more to destroy this country then ANY politician I can remember...He was on Nixon's staff and hated the fact the president wasn't given total powers. He's done away with our right to Hiatus Corpus (I'm killing that spelling but i'm pissed and not going to look it up)...Yes your right to council and a speedy trial was tossed away by pushing through a fear mongering bill... He Ok'd torture for the first time in U.S. history and has left a huge stain on our reputation on the worlds stage..He's pushed all his ex companies to the for front on our natural disasters for pure profit without care for the American public..I could go on and on....but for the first time in my voting history i'm voting democrat..Not because I feel they are going to do anything better for our economy etc. but because we have to do something to get these idiots out of office before they totally destroy us...in the name of their own relentless greed and perversion!!!!
    My .02 from a ten year military veteran and small business owner...

18. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Golfman65,

Odd thing, I don't see any inconsistency between your post and Rich's (Fishful Thinking).

Sincerely,

Salmo g. (possibly a "hater")

19. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:

Papa-I'm merely judging the man by his actions, if you'd rather ignore much of what he has or hasn't done and base your assesment off of what you percieve to be similar values that's fine.

20. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    no way man. you're not a hater. I wouldn't go bird hunting with the guy either. :rofl: