The Pink run is over

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Matt Burke, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    For the salt, I think, but check out my theory. I have noted that pinks caught in the salt all seem to be small, few and far between. Not like two years ago. Last night in the news they reported this has been the fifth wettest summer on record. In Oct. of 2005, there was a major flood (see graph).

So, this is what I think. What pinks there were came through at the beginning of August this year because Oct. of 2005 wiped out the redds that hadn't gone to fruition. Being a wetter year the pinks came early, headed straight for the snohomish and the only thing left of the run will trickle in over the next two weeks but at way less than the numbers for 2005.

What do you think? Head up my ass trying to make excuses again?

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    It sounds reasonsable. But I do hear of reports that the pinks are in some areas pretty thick, but just not cruising the beach lines like they did before for some reason.

But the fish are definately already up and down the sky. On Friday, I saw fish in every pool from the sultan launch down to monroe, and know there were even thicker from there down to the salt. Not massive numbers yet, but they were there. So it does seem they moved in pretty fast.

3. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

Media:
    I hope not, I was looking forward to another few weeks from the beaches. It was really slow this morning though...

4. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

I'll bet we can still catch them, but it will be ones and twos. Nothing like 2 weeks ago (down south).

Wow - It's incredible how fast a few weeks can go by. It was fun!

5. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    It's still odd that we never really had the action up north that happened down south. Yet the fish are in the rivers already, so there is really no arguing there...

6. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    My theory only applies to the Snohomish drainage. But, I think the Skagit system got nailed too in 2005. You'd have to do the research to be sure.

7. Jon Borcherding

Jon Borcherding New Member

I don't know where they're headed but, the pinks are thick at Neah Bay right now.
    Some friends limited in about 20 minutes Sunday AM. They headed home with full coolers after several days of non stop action.

JonB

8. WT

WT Member

Patience Grasshopper.
    WT

9. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I'm not giving up on them yet. Besides, catching a few silvers while I look for the pinks works for me :)

10. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    No, I agree with Matt, I'm pretty sure the beach action is over in the north sound beaches... :rolleyes:

11. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Not impatient. Just that this year's run seems a little off. There are enough to make it interesting. It's just more fun to experiment with different presentations (pink poppers, indicator with a pink shrimp, etc.) when there are a boat load like 2005 off the salt beaches near the snohomish.

12. pastorbrian

pastorbrian Member

Everyone and their mom around me were catching them this morning...

Maybe there are a few left!!:)

13. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I hope someday we get a run of 3 million coho in the sound. You won't have anyone worried about where the pinks are then ;) .
    Brian

14. agent montana

agent montana This Must be a sickness!! MARINATE!!!

Media:
    I think they are in the water swimming somewhere and at night when we all sleep they go to where they are trying to get....Maybe its still early...Maybe it's done...Hell I was at Thomas's Eddy on Sunday morning and barely anything even happening there as well..Either way something is happening cause it feels more like an even than odd year...

15. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    If you are talking about Browns Pt, you are being litteral when you say "and their mom". There has been a 60 yr old granny out there (Russian I think) chucking buzz bombs in her skirt and knitted scarf each time i've been down there...

16. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    this past week i've begun believing the same theory

17. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    My thoughts exactly. But it's all good. Still fun to play with. Just aint gonna limit out this year. South Sound may be better cuz I don't recall them getting hit hard by rain in OCT. '05 or they may be all out at Neah Bay waiting for George W's impeachment. No stress dudes, just can't catch all four in the first 15 minutes like last time.

18. Ron Crawford

Ron Crawford ===

Ha Ha - That's funny I have seen her too (Granny). In fact, last Friday I saw her land a fish.

19. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

talking to the people with boats, they say that out in the salt alot of people are fishing way deep now for pinks. marking fish at over 100 feet down. so maybe when they decide to move to fresh water they dont follow the beaches just go straight to the rivers. also alot of pinks still being taken out on the coast. just waiting for the second group to show! not dead yet.

20. wolverine

wolverine Member

We have hopes for 3 million pinks in Puget Sound. The Fraser river & its tribs are forecasted for 18 million.