The Pink run is over

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Matt Burke, Aug 21, 2007.

1. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Matt, a reasonable account for the facts so far, one that I've been kicking around some as well. Definitely an atypical run compared with 2005. Boats out of Mukilteo have been averaging ONE per boat.

Personally though, I hold on to hope that, any day now, the bulk of the run will be coming around Possession Pt with a vengeance. I'm simply not ready to close the books on this one yet, especially since I don't chase them up the rivers. So far it has been a modest disappointment.
  2. pastorbrian Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I saw her too! Not today, but when I was leaving there was a lady watching her (presumed) husband fish.
    My wife can't wait for me to leave, and she was out there just watching!

I saw quite a few caught from 5 to 6:30, then....nada!
  3. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    I dunno. I was fishing the Sky and Sno in early - mid October 2005 and was still catching the rare incidental humpy. My guess would be if they were still willing to hit sculpins and kinney spiders in SRC colors they still hadn't spawned. There were still a lot of carcases which would lead me to guess that they were recently deceased since they hadn't been washed out that first week of october.

I do have one question that is sort of related. Where are all of the f-ing steelhead smolt? I've been out 3 times the last week and have seen one smolt. Countem, Uno! 2005 the water was thick with them picking bits of humpy guts off of the rocks.
  4. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    How come she was chucking them in to her skirt and knitted scarf? :confused: :D

Just funnin' with you . . .
  5. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    By the way, there are a LOT of pinks that aren't in the Puget Sound yet. I was at Sekiu over the weekend, and there were gobs and gobs of pinks. They could have been all going to BC/Frasier system, but I bet there has to be some coming here, as well. :D
  6. WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Fife, WA
    yes i will second this... we were at neah bay 16-19th and the pinks were THICK! inside the straights they were all we caught we even went out to swiftsure and farther out and were still catching them along with the silvers.... the pink run may come in a few different bunches... i remember in 2005 i slammed quite a few up in bellingham around the last few days of august then i came down and fished the puyallup system and caught them all the way til the 2nd or 3rd week of october... with bright fish being caught then... which means many of those fish must have been late arrivers.. with as many fish as are projected to return... they wont all make it back at the same exact time!... Also in 2005 i fished in the salt around port susan and saw schools of pinks around the 2nd week of september.
  7. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    There were 3-4 inch fry of some kind jumping all up and down the sky when I floated it on Saturday. Were they steelhead you think???
  8. tyler Member

Ballard
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    From WDFW’s August 8-21 Weekender Report…

With summer at its midpoint, salmon fishing is now in full swing from the Pacific coast to the upper Columbia River. Hundreds of thousands of fish are on the move, pressing into Puget Sound and other "inside" waters from the ocean and creating a variety of fishing options for anglers.

"Savvy anglers follow the fish," said Steve Thiesfeld, a fish biologist for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW). "You want to be fishing where the salmon are, not where they were."

"Humpy Hollow," a portion of Puget Sound stretching from Shipwreck to Mukilteo, should be a good bet in the next few weeks for anglers who want to catch pink salmon, Thiesfeld said. Fish biologists are predicting that 3.3 million pink salmon - also known as "humpies" - will enter Puget Sound this year and a good portion of them will pass through those waters, he said.

"We expect a big push of pink salmon in the next couple of weeks, and Humpy Hollow is traditionally the best place to be when those fish head for the region's rivers," Thiesfeld said.
  9. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Tyler, I read that report too, and really hope it's spot on. However, my journal from 2005 recorded an average of 7 pinks 'landed' most every morning over 2.5 hours starting 8/18/07 continuing for the next 10 days. Hopefully the run is coming, but the timing is off this year compared to 2005.

By the way, I caught my first pink of the year from a Snohomish Co beach during the first week of July. I'm sure those early pods are well up river by now.
  10. springer125 Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I dont know if there is more coming or what, but i do know the ones that were in the south sound are gone. I hit them from all angles this past weekend trolling on down riggers and working the shorelines with the 8 weight. The only pinks that we caught were on the fly working the shorlines so i dont think that they are out in deeper water. By monday afternoon i didnt see anyaction. Saw a fish caught off the clay banks on monday afternoon and a nice king off of rodondo but no pinks... Hopefully they are just taking there time.... and for the projections of 3.3 million by WDFW i take that with a grain of salt... I have to many memories from last year of waiting around for there so called historic run of silvers... :beathead:
  11. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,759 / 0
    The Skagit got hammered in 2005. So much so the slimer run is predicted to be so low the the river is closed to salmon fising this year. No slimer mania. To bad for the comedy or errors show at the launches and for "Fight Day on the River" but for us sea run fly fishermen it is great news. Most of the idiots should stay home.
  12. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    If only that were true... unfortuneately, i'm afraid it only sends them down my way to the stilly and snohomish\sky... :beathead:
  13. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Probably, but I have yet to see one up close. That is very strange, usually you can see them all along the gravel bars and along the steep rock walls as well as the ones jumping. :confused:
  14. firemanbill "Come with me...if you want to live"

North Bend, WA
    I was at Brown's PT on Monday and caught 2 pinks between 9:30am and 11:30am. There was this cat next to me with his 3 boys and they caught 7 between themselves using hardware and buzz bombs. he was casting about 40' out, but everything that he and I were catching was within 15' of the shore. In fact I had a few pinks fin 3-4' from me. I was about thigh deep in the water. My bud went on Tuesday, and said there was a large school of Pinks North of Brown's Pt. about a 1/2 mile walk.
  15. Copper Jon What a Jim!

Seattle, WA
    I don't think it's over. Maybe slower but not over. Saw plenty of pinks jumping, porpoising, finning, and being slayed by the buzz bombers this morning in Area 11. I was the only fly guy out there and only managed 1 fish in several hours but they were visibly there. I just couldn't catch them. Perhaps they're not feeding quite as much as they approach their spawning run time.
  16. bwillroll Member

bellingham, wa, whatcom.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    I was at Bush point on Wednesday and had a blast catching pinks off the beach. My buddy and I hooked at least twenty fish between the two of us. I don't know if that's "good" or not but we had a blast. Those pinks seem to have a more aggressive spirit in the salt over fresh water.
  17. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    All good news to hear reports of lots of Pinks about to come down the chute.

Bwillroll, 20 fish between 2 guys, ya I would say a kick ass day for sure. If you're having a "blast" doesn't necessary get any better with a couple fish more or less.

I was at the beach this morning along with a half dozen FF; no fish to hand by anyone, two hook-ups, a decent number of fish jumping but all well beyond casting range.

All in all, encouraging news for things to come.
  18. Nutty Squirrel Says: Smoke Salmon not Crack

Ballard, Wa
    Definately not over at West Point this morning. Pinks were everywhere off W. Point today. We hooked up with 5 Pinks, 1 humpy, 1 9lb silver and 2 released 6lb Blackmouth & 1 14lb King & lost a few more Pinks in 3 hours of fishing. One hell of a good time this morning. The only bad news was none were caught on a fly but it wasn't for lack of trying. The beach success has been non existent lately for me though but the casting is getting better everytime out.
  19. slippery_whippet Member

Sedro Woolley, WA
    Isn't a pink and a humpy the same thing??? Also what is difference between a Blackmouth and a King???
    Just curious if I'm missing the finer points.....
  20. Mike Croft New Member

Tacoma, Washington, USA.
    Good Questions. Yes pinks and humpies are the same. As for Blackmouth and Kings, a Blackmouth is a feeder king and as such is not sexually mature. These still have a year or three left in the salt. This defination is only relevent in Puget Sound. In Oregon there is no distinction and everything is considered a king ot a chinook. In BC a king over 40 lbs can also be called a Tyee. Little guys, under 20 inches, are called shakers in the salt and jacks in the fresh.