the PW "special" string leech

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by pwoens, Nov 22, 2004.

1. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Here is a pic of the string leech I created and have been using to catch steelhead with. It can be tied with one, two, or three beads on the head. Tying time is about 7-20 minutes depending on your skill and speed. A time consuming fly but well worth it...in my own opinion that is

Tying materials needed:

* lead hook size 2 salmon style hook...preferrably cheap because you are going to cut it.
    * gamakatsu oktopus #2
    * orange flat waxed thread
    * black bunny strips
    * orange bunny strips
    * orange flash (of your choice but I prefer the lite bright stuff)
    * crystal accent flash
    * orange schlappen (optional)
    * white schlappen
    * hot orange 1/4 beads
    * backing, 20 or 30#

Tying steps to produce:

1: take the lead hook which will become just a shank at the end and put your beads on it
    2: Put the hook in the vice (step 1 in pics)
    3: start your thread and wrap it back to the bend in the hook (step 2 in pics)
    4: take some 20 or 30 lb backing and make a loop about 3-4 inches long (can vary to your own taste)
    5: leave about 1-2 inches of the loop hanging past the bend in the lead hook and tie the rest down securely to the shank. (step 3 in pics)
    6: tie in some orange lite brite to the same lenght as the loop (step 4 in pics)
    7: tie on a strip of black bunny that is longer than the loop (step 5 in pics)
    8: tie in a strip of orange bunny at the bend. (step 6 in pics)
    9a: OPTIONAL tie in a piece of orange schlappen at the bend of the hook and palmer it over itself and tie off.
    9b: palmer the orange bunny to the orange bead. (step 7 in pics)
    10: tie in two strips of crystal accent flash....one on each side of the bunny tied in right behind the last bead. (step 8 in pics)
    11: tie in a white schlappen and palmer it over itself. (step 9 in pics)
    12: whip finish and head cement (step 9 in pics)
    13: cut the shank as close as possible to the materials
    14: take a Gamakatsu Oktopus #2 and push the loop through the eye.
    15: push the gamakatsu through the bunny strip at the length that makes the backing lay even on the bunny
    16: cut the bunny about 1/4" past the eye of the hook (finished fly in pics)

* you can use whatever flashy materials you want in whatever colors you prefer....same goes for bunny colors....BUT I have personnaly found that the black and orange works the best.

Attached Files:

2. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Patrick, what do you use to cut the hook?

3. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    a pair of craftsman 6" side cutters, or dikes....whatever you want to call them. Nothing serious just a pair of cutters. Make sure you use your hand to cover the small part of the hook that you are cutting off prior to cutting it off....because it will shoot across the room if you dont.

Did the pics help out at all?? Crappy pics but its the best I could do.

4. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh hell yah, the pics helped out a bunch, the info. you gave me regarding this fly was helpful, but it is always easier when you can see it step by step. unfortunately i will have to wait until i get to utah to start tying these up since all my tieing material is all boxed up.

5. Brian Simonseth

Brian Simonseth Banned or Parked

Nice fly

Hey Pat what is the water temp. now.

6. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:

:confused: dunno??? cold

7. SpokaneFisherman

SpokaneFisherman Member

Media:
    I feel compelled to respond to this post. About a month ago Patrick introduced me to this pattern and let me tell you... It works like a charm. I caught the best Squawfish of my life on this fly. ;)

BTW Pat, I talked to Sean tonight. He said you guys took him to the Ronde and didn't let him catch any fish. What gives? I told him that he should've just High-Holed you :p

8. Don Johnson

Don Johnson Duke of Furl

Probably a minor technicality here, but if there is a lead hook, it is not a true string leech but rather an articulated leech with the front hook clipped. It may seem trivial but there are some that will defend the mobility of a true string over one constructed on an iron then clipped as depicted.

9. Greg Miller

Greg Miller meat-head

Nice fly, Patrick! Great instructions too! :thumb:

gm

10. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    well, considering I am a beginner tier at best, you should allow for some flaws in the technicality department.

For the inquiring minds, please explain the true difference so as to prevent any "defensive" remarks that may arise. If one was to use a waddington shank, would this be considered a true string leech?

Either way...I dig the fly and its got several people from this board, and my hopeless old man, into steelhead....and it has definately boosted my catch rate and of course confidence level. For someone as untalented and uneducated as myself, I am just happy to have a fly I can put my faith in and toss out in the water, regardless of wether it is a true string leech, or an articulated leech.

Kevin....that was a mighty fine 22" hatchery squaw that my fly you were tossing caught....wasnt it :rofl:

Boy....now I know how SS felt. See if I ever share again. :p :p

11. Brian Simonseth

Dirty words!

Pat iagree

12. Oneweight

Oneweight Member

Media:
    P-Dub,

Can we really start calling you SS in his honor? .....you can be Sharp Squawfishy..... what do ya think? HAHAHAHA yeah, I'm funny, eh.

great fly and I will be trying to tie this up over the weekend. The pix are most helpful and thx for taking the time to throw this up.

~Jeff

13. mike doughty

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, i can't stop laughing, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well I tried to look at the pictures but they came out blurrrrry and way to damn big. If you would size you pictures down I could view them. In fact if you all would take the smaller size I could view more of them.

Just an old man compaining.

Jim :(

15. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey Jim....what are you "compaining" for?? The next election??

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well when I click on your pictures they say the size is 670.4 Kb and the rest are the same size. On my computer they are bigger than life. While some other pictures say,for instance 42.5 Kb. These come out just right. I can get the pictures to come out bigger but not smaller.

Maybe it's all on my end but I'm not smart enough to get them to reduce in size.

And I'm not complaining about anything let alone the next election. By that time we might all be dead the way that idiot is going. We can't be the world police like he wants us to be. I say let the world alone. It did fine before he showed up.

Jim

P/S .....You started this :p

17. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    in your first response you spelled complaining without the "L" so it sounds like campaigning. Thats all... :p :clown:

18. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

Media:
    Great instructional detail. Can't wait to tie one up! Have you experimented using a different color collar? Just curious :confused:

Dennis

19. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    yep....I have used pinks, purples, fuschias, oranges, whites, and solid blacks. My peabrained reasoning behind the white is the "sperm" that is sometimes prevelant???? I stole that idea from the babine special. Personally I have never caught anything on a different color, but then again I have never fished more than an hour or so with a diff pattern.

Another peabrained idea I implement in these flies from time to time is this: put a conehead on first, but backwards. It creates a little more turbulance in the water and "MAY" attract more fish to the pattern as its moving in the water????? :confused:

20. Brian Simonseth

Jim

It's time to updated browser! bawling:

SS

I still like you're PW "special" string leech ! :thumb: