the PW "special" string leech

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by pwoens, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Don Johnson

Don Johnson Duke of Furl

Mr. PW
    I guess maybe it is I that should bow out. I meant no ill-will by the post and I extend my apologies if one's feathers were ruffled. I was simply trying to avoid confusion by pointing out that there are differences between a string leech and an articulated leech. An articulated leech is usually one that has been constructed with two hooks in tandem and sometimes (not always) has the front hook clipped so it is just a shank. A true string leech is just that: a string (with a fly tied on it) with a hook at one end and a loop at the other. I had this "technicality" pointed out to me when I was doing some pattern investigation for a small article I did on the topic (www.salmonfly.net, Art of Articulation under the article section) and I fail to see why offering info to further define your nicely-done fly should cause a flap. As for Waddingtons, it is my belief that a shank fly would be an articulated pattern but after this I'm not weighing in on it; ask Aaron or Jack or someone who ties on shanks.

I too dig your pattern and am glad you and others realize success and have confidence in it. Furthermore, I think your self-effacing comments are unwarranted as evidenced by the tying instruction and the completed fly. Very nicely done and thanks for sharing.

Anyway, sorry man.

Later,
    Don

2. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey Don....hold on....no worries at all my friend. My post was not one of saying "geez thanks for busting my chops" kind of post. Sometimes sarcasm comes across as something different but in my mind by using the tongue sticking out smiley faces at the end were to point out it was all in fun and games. I was curious what the difference was and was not kidding when I said I was a beginner at best. I am grateful when people chime in and give advice or critique anything about fishing that can enhance my abilities and knowledge of this beloved hobby.

I hope no offense was taken when I replied to your post as I never meant anything negative. So, no harm no foul on either end ......its all about good times here. So, PLEASE do not apologize or feel ill-willed about any of this...SERIOUSLY!!!

So...a true string has no shank at all??? How do you tie the material to the string and how do you attach the string to your tippet or leader???

3. Kip Kidwell

Kip Kidwell Born to Fish, Bound to Work

Media:
    A quick word of advice (forr what it's worth). File the cut end of the hook smooth, if you don't it has a nasty way of cuttin the trailer off just when you get the biggin.
    :ray1:

4. Don Johnson

Don Johnson Duke of Furl

The flies I have seen tied on strings only have had either a loop at the end for the hook or had the hook permanently lashed to the string (usually Dacron backing or similar). On the other end there is a loop for attaching the leech to the tippet.

I have never tied one on string alone as it seemed like too much of a hassle. The way that it was told to me though was to run backing between two nails hammered into two upright boards (loop on one end and the other end wrapped around the nail to keep it taught). Tie the fly, loop the other end of the string and insert hook. Voila.

Having never tied a fly like that, it's hard to say whether I'd like it or not but I think I'd rather do it like you depicted in the original post or the way I have come to make them as proposed in the link I offered from my earlier reply.

5. Monk

Monk Redneck

Media:
    I tie egg loops to both hooks; like a mooching rig. If I am tying saltwater flies I use Octo Gammies adn leave it. If I am tying freshwater flies, I snip the shank at the bend and file it smooth. I learned that lesson the hard way unfortunately.

6. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Pat,
    Ive been tying a few string leaches after doing very well with articulated leaches, but i wanted more action. With the stinger hook attached to the backing, do u hook or lash it to the rabbit strip in anyway. I was never really taught to tie flies, and just went about it myself, so im not sure about the method. Btw nice tie. I will post a pic of mine. Its pretty similar execpt i use lead eyes and marabou casue i don't have any crosscut rabbit for the head. Zonker strips can be made by a razor but i havn't had a chance to make any crosscuts, mainlt cause my razor blade sux and i need a new one.

Peace,
    Andy

7. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    hey Andy...sounds like you and I had the same instructor ;) I personally just push the point through the skin one time and pull the rest of the hook through the skin until the backing is tight. Once in a while during the casting the hook will come out but no big deal. I use to tie the bunny to the hook but forget that...it takes too much time.

later

8. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
    Pat,

Great fly and super instructions. Keep those ideas flowing.

REE

9. Crump

Crump Member

Media:
    Andy and Pat,
    An observation that I have made on my string/articulated patterns is when swinging, you do not need the hook to be attached to the trailing material. The force of the fly against the water lifts the hook into the material and allows for constant. This lets the tail move in the wake the head of the fly makes as it swings. But if you fish 'eastside style' ;) and high stick/dead drift your flies, it is better to attach your hooks to your bunny, etc...because if you allow the hook to be loose, it will hang down away from the material and if a fish takes the fly, it may miss the hook. I also will attach my hooks when I am tying trout streamers the same way, I found this out when I missed large browns consecutively this fall in the desert when I hesitated on my strip...strip, pause, strip, pause....crap!! If my hook was attached in some way, the story would have been different.
    crump :thumb:

edit : PAT if you still have some of the fly photos I sent you, feel free to post them here...

10. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    yessirreee. Noticed the same thing. If my hook comes out of the bunny, I always re-attach it.

which ones??? AND....where the heck is the package.....better get a groove on cause your running out of time, and real quick like. Maybe even too late now since everyone else has been by in the last few weeks??? GET IT SENT!!!!

11. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    In the Winter Northwest Fly f\Fishing mag there is an article and pictures on how to tie a "real" string leech like Don was talking about. It looks like it would be very effective. The rabbit is wound on like my lake leech rather than Matuka style.
    It takes two vices to tie it. It may have better action than the double hook method I use because it will be flexible over the whole length of the string instead of at the hinge.
    The other advantage is the Octopus Gami at the rear it has some real hooking qualities. According to the article it is harder for the fish to throw the Gami because of the short length, there is less leverage?? Good article read it if you can..
    jesse clark

12. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    If you can remember, bring it friday??

I wont use anything except the gamakatsu octopus hooks. I swear by these hook for steelhead!!! :thumb:

13. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    thanx pat. now if u could only get off school friday and come fish.....dont think it will flt ;(. I have started hooking my leeches through the tail and pulling the hook down. Seems to work well.

Peace,
    Andy