The Ringlee sack

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Matt Burke, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    those are the ones I lost

2. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    What kind of fur/dubbing are you using on those sweet ass flies? question for both burke and ringlee.

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    rabbit hair straightcut and glow bug yarn

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:

Of course, you have the scent factor. But looking at these, and seeing them WET, wholly shit they are nice. I'm going to tie them up like this and try them out versus the way I tie them (more rigid on the shank).

I'll be down doing some springer fishing (if open) in a few weeks. Gonna have a bunch of these tied up. Gotta say, love these flies (even if you have some of the more uptight people claiming they aren't).

5. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Jerry, Let me know when you go down and try for the springers. I might be down in that area and would love to fish with you again if we can make it work. I am excited to try these out. I've been tying up quite a few, and with Burke's advice, I might need quite a few if I'm fishing them right.

6. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Media:
    Have you guys ever thought of doing these with that egg glue stuff. Cool looking and oh so dirty. I think you guys just gave me a great idea. I shall post some pics soon. :beer1:

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:

Matthew, it'll be the weekend of May 16th and 17th. You have a open seat in my boat ANYTIME!

8. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Of course, if you're not fishing fly-only waters, there is no reason why one couldn't spray some scent onto those flies.... Yes, heresy, but if you search the closet of most flyfishers, you'll find a spinning or baitcaster and some gear. I PREFER to use my flyrod, but I'm not adverse to using my nice spinning or baitcaster when each is more appropriate. All else being equal, I like the direct feel of fighting a fish on a flyreel and the scream of the reel as a hot fish rocket aways and I love the action of a flyrod. But, I like to catch fish too and I'll use what it takes to be effective.

As time passes, I keep finding myself wandering up to (and over) that artificial line that separates flyfishing from gear fishing. I look in the closet in my home office where I keep my fishing equipment and I see little difference between the box of steelhead jigs sitting next to a box of steelhead flies. In the last few years, I've been building my own spinners. It is part of that creative thing that attracts me to flytying. I've been elaborating my spinners with hackles tied to the hooks - a take off on hootchie spinners. We'll see how well they work this summer.

Steve

9. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Cabezon, I appreciate your honesty! I have often wondered the same thing (about scent on an egg sack fly), but haven't done it yet. I don't know if I would, but I would be lying if I said I am not tempted! I have fished gear my whole life up until a few years ago when the fly bug bit me. So we'll see what happens with the springers this year ;)

10. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    In my junk box of fishing crap, I've got a couple jars of Potski's Balls of Fire at the bottom. Been sitting there for yeaaaars. Think I'll grab one, drain off the oil and mash it up. Jam as many Ringlee sacs as I can in there and put the lid on. Set it on my fly tyin bench and let it fester til June one.