The "Rock" the rod, and the company

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Alex MacDonald, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Back in the early`80's, when I used to guide for Kiene's Fly Shop, Bill scored a bunch of 1st generation Sage rods, which we wound up with. Over the years, as I added to my quiver, I've been increasingly dissatisfied with how mine cast. While the rod functions well, and hits it's target, it never really liked any line I've put on the thing. Yesterday was the final straw. While I could reach any fish, it felt like a lot of work compared to my other rods-way too much effort the more line I got out. So on the way back home, we stopped at Desert Fly Angler to talk with Darce about the issue. His analysis was that something was wrong with the guides. I wound up taking a new Echo Solo 5-wt home. Putting on my own line, it cast so much more easily than my Sage it wasn't even funny, especially with more line out. The more line I laid out, the easier it was to shoot it, which is the opposite of the Sage!

Ah, the "wrong button" again! I wanted to say, that Don Adams, Jan Uchytil, John Lorenz and I all drove out-we're all members of the Leavenworth Cigar & Whisky Club. Looking for an outing with convivial company, a few stogies, and the opportunity to add a few more good fish stories to our "bullshit" arsenal, we wound up at the "S" bend. There were already four other guys there, in all of our favorite spots. Much to my surprised pleasure, they all proceeded to light up decent cigars, crack open a few beers, and the eight of us had a great time! I have no idea who they were, but they were good additions to the Club. Fishing was slow, but i managed a decent, well-colored rainbow on a #10 egg pattern, while everybody else was drifting little chironomid nymphs you couldn't see without a microscope. Since the egg was a big one, I saw my fish turn, go for the fly, take it and turn away, so I set the iron with "authority", and he wasn't going anywhere I didn't want him to go. Jan netted him for me, and the rest of the guys, who'd been getting hookups but were practicing their "long release" technique immediately wanted to see if I'd pinched the barb. I have to admit, it was the most fun I'd had out there in a long time, thanks to the company. So if anybody knows who these four guys might have been, let them know they'd bee welcome additions to the Leavenworth C&W group?

2. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    rocktitle_original.jpg rocktitle_original.jpg the_rock_bio_20130107.png Given your thread title, one of them may have been this dude............