The rod from hell

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Matthew LeBret, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    I built myself a batson 1088-4 switch for the upcoming steelys this year. I used a RFIL2-GWG black reel seat from batson and matched it with black snake guides. I used burl-mocha, burl, burl-light dark mix and rubberized cork for the grip and shaped it to a western style. The top grip is 12 inches and the butt is 4 inches. Copper trim and black are the thread colors I used for the wrap. I heard about Guidebrod Black on the RBF but I figured that it was a thing of the past..........NOPE. I got a bad spool of black from them and found out when I applyed the epoxy. I re prepped the wraps when they where set enough to file flat. After I cleaned up the wraps I re applyed the finish. The final coat went just as smooth UNTIL the belt broke on my turner and the finish sagged :mad: needless to say after more sanding and finishing its all done and ready to fish :thumb:. I picked up new scandi line that Mr Meiser makes for the 1088 and its a wonderful thing and now fish ready.

View attachment 43725 View attachment 43724 View attachment 43723

2. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    Turned out very nice! I also had the same problem with some thread and learned all about filing.

3. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Great looking work. Glad it turned out okay in the end.

4. Matthew LeBret

Media:
    I found out that they will back their thread and ship you a new spool if you want them too. I didn't mind all to much after the fact because I am new enough at this I didn't mind the experience but at the time it happen I was getting ready to.... as my little girl likes to say "Flip the freak out". Now I just cant wait until the season gets here.

5. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Here's a minimum-trouble way to test new components (thread, color preserver, thread coating, etc.): make a test wrap or two on a pencil. It's also a good way to practice wrapping a guide.

6. Matthew LeBret

Media:
    This problem I had with this switch rod did teach me allot and one of the biggest is to test new products before it gets to the rod. I'm using a metal rod to wrap and finish to test the product from now on. I'm wrapping up a tiger eye right now with new thread that I tested and looks great. I have read about the GB's black thread problem and I'm aware its getting harder to find a shitty spool but I guess that I just lucked out. Not to bash any company but are there others components out there that have been giving people a hard time?

7. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    I'm sure this is common knowledge, but if you use Madeira, USE CP! Several coats or you will have a fish eye nightmare on your hands. I learned this the hard way obviously. I now use an old carbon fiber arrow shaft for test wraps, long enough to wrap multiple colors in 1" increments and coat one in CP and the other without. I do this with any new thread I get now, and always have a reference later.

Those copper inlays are badass by the way.

Cheers,
    Steve