The Sauk

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by slabslayer, Aug 15, 2002.

1. slabslayer

slabslayer New Member

Hey, I'm going to the Sauk this weekend. I don't have access to an 8 weight this weekend so I think that I will be trying to fool some cutthroats. Never fished the river before and don't have a boat but am willing to hike through the jungle to get to a sweet spot. Anybody got any input on where to fish, what kind of hatches are going on ie what should I be chuckin out there?
    Keith

2. Finspot

Finspot New Member

Home Page:
    If you're not going deep for steelhead & dollies, I'd advise against fishing the main stem. A few adventurous SRC make it up that high (at least anecdotally) but not this early in the season, and while there may be some scattered resident cutts and rainbows, my guess is that a lightweight setup will mainly impale parr/smolts--not a good thing. There are tribs that can get you into little resident fish with a bit of hiking, but distinguishing them from the parr/smolts is pretty difficult in the field.

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I might be old---but I'm good.

Well with all of the hot weather that we have been having I really doubt if the Sauk is in any shape to fish below the Suiattle River or the White Chuck. Lots of glacier melt.Above the White Chuck the river is wadable,but the fish are small. Smolts and/or parr. Some dolly's are up there.Saw some gear chuckers throwing buzz bombs at them.

About the small feeder streams that dump into the Sauk are Elliot Creek,Clear Creek, N/Fork of the Sauk.. I never fished Elliot, but have the other two. There's a falls on the N/Fork so all the fish above that point are native. And I have only fished upper Clear creek. Small fish also.

Flies that I like to use are Elk hair Caddis,Stimulator,Royal Wulff.Royal humpy.

Jim