the Shock and Awe fly...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by SeaRun1, Jul 14, 2005.

1. SeaRun1

SeaRun1 New Member

I am heading out to Neah Bay next week and am looking to tie some tube flies. I am new to them and the results are fishable but... Anyways I keep hearing about the Shock and Awe fly. Can someone provide a description of the fly for me or even better a thumbnail? It would be greatly appreciated.

Also if you have any other sure-fire patterns that work well out at Neah Bay and would'nt mind sharing that would be great.

Thanks!

SeaRun1

2. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    SeaRun1, welcome to the board. Les Johnson frequently posts on this site as Searun.
    My suggestion is to contact Anil at Puget Sound Fly Company, a board sponsor. Anil created the Shock and Awe and sells it at the shop. He is teaching a class on Salt Water Tube Flies this Monday night at the shop for $25.
    I would also check Ibn's gallery. I recall that he has photos of Shock and Awes in a wide range of colors last fall as he prepared to head out to Neah Bay.
    I hope this helps.
    Best regards, Steve

3. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    well, it's not a tube but i wouldn't go to Neah Bay without some chartreuse and white flashtail clousers (size 1 and 1/0). imo it is the number one fish catching fly for coho salmon at Neah Bay.

Good luck,

Chris

4. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Pink and White Deceivers became my go to fly last year on the salt from July through Sept. Tie them up with a good amount of Purple pearl flash. Just black felt pen dots for eyes and be carefull the Seagulls seem to like them as well as the Salmon.

5. TomB

TomB Active Member

chris....what hook are you tying your clousers on? Thanks.

-Thomas

6. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    TMC 811S

another great Neah Bay fly is the clouser half and half (2/0 - same hook).... chartreuse and white of course... and don't forget the flashtail. flash extending past the body material is imo one of the most important parts of a saltwater fly.

chris

7. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    I’ll attach a picture of the fly at the bottom of this post.
    One consideration should be whether you intend to troll or cast your flies? The ‘Shock & Awe’ was designed to be cast. If you intend to troll it, consider adding some tubing to place the hook further back. The hook in the photo (and my prefered hook) is a SL12 #2 Gamakasu.
    Here are some tying instructions
    1. Prepare an HMH cut to length tube:
    a) cut to desired length (minimum of about 11/2”)
    b) burn the rear end of the tube
    2. Place the tube in the vise and make a quick thread base approximately ½” behind the front of the tube. This is important! Although you will extend materials forward of this point, do not apply thread any farther forward.
    3. Tie approximately 12 strands of U.V. Krystal Flash on top of the Slinky Fibre.
    4. On the bottom of the tube tie in a shorter bunch of white Slinky Fibre, allowing a slightly shorter amount of the fibers to extend beyond the front of the fly.
    5. Tie a good sized clump of Pearl Flash, and white Slinky Fibre on top of the tube. This should be tapered and will be the longest portion of the fly. (I like to tie the flash in then the fibre and then fold the flash over the top of the Slinky Fibre.)
    6. Tie on top of the tube, a chunk of Slinky Fibre. This should extend both, beyond the front of the tube and behind it as well, the front portion will be folded back and will become the back of the baitfish.
    7. What you should have at this point is two (almost) identical baitfish ‘kissing’ one another in the middle of the tube.
    8. Remove the tube from the vise.
    9. Slide a Crosseyed Cone over the front of the tube. This will fold all of the materials that were extending beyond the front of the tube to the rear. It will also fill the void that exists inside and behind the head of most cone-heads.
    10. Force the Cone as far back against the tie in point as possible.
    11. There should be approximately 1/8” of tube extending beyond the front of the cone. If necessary cut the tube.
    12. With a lighter burn the tube so that it flares and holds the cone firmly against the folded materials. It is often necessary to keep a Bodkin handy and to re-open the opening at the front of the tube, while it is still warm.
    13. Hang the fly upside down (a clothespin and line work well).
    14. Fill the void inside of the Crosseyed Cone with Epoxy.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

Attached Files:

8. SeaRun1

SeaRun1 New Member

Thanks for all of the helpful advice and thepicture. I would like to take a class on saltwater tube tying. Monday is kind of short notice though. Will there be another one offered soon? If Monday has to be it can I get some details?

thanks

SeaRun1

9. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
  10. Steve Rohrbach

Media:
    SeaRun1, the class is awesome. Anil has really added some great colors and the Shock and Awe looks very fishy. The class is informative, fun and gives you the tools you need to tie several interesting tube flies. You need to get signed up. Steve

11. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    Steve,
    Glad you liked the class and thanks for the endorsement.
    For anyone interested, our next tube class will be offered on Wednesday the 10th of August. Check out our website for more info.
    Anil
    www.pugetsoundflyco.com

12. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

i was going to ask the same question. thanks. i do have another, which is; where do i get one of those attachment deals that clamps on the vise so a tube fly can be tied? if you know where please include a phone number. thanks. mike w

13. Steve Rohrbach

Media:
    luv2fly, check with board sponsors Puget Sound Fly Company or Patrick's Fly Shop. I know both of those stores carry the attachment.

Steve