The Skagit River Godfather in Action...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Red Shed, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

If only I could do that. I beat the hell out of the water. That's great stuff.

2. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Media:
    Home Page:
    I really tried for different music, maybe Red Hot Chili Peppers.... a little B-52's...

What would be great is an overlay of Mike talking. Hearing him explain and teach the fundamentals is incredibly helpful. He has a great way of explaining the dynamics of the cast. There's a lot to be learned from Mike from both a casting and fishing perspective. I feel incredibly lucky to have the opportunity to spend time on the river each week with Mike.

3. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

I don't know, while I have never met him or had the privilege of watching him cast, I really think that the music (especially the woodwind one) is super fitting. Something about it seems to fit perfectly...the casting, the location, and the music.

4. fshnazn

fshnazn Member

Media:
    Yeah, isn't that like "Samurai" music? It would only be fitting to the Samurai Spey.

5. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    iagree completely!!

6. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Media:
    Skagit River Godfather ...AND those he influenced!

Great point, Kristin. You helped me understand that I COMPLETELY MISSED THE POINT in my earlier post in this thread!

Mike's video clearly demonstrates ease and grace in the casting of a master angler and fishing guide, but Mike's personal skills are trivial when compared to the way he has HELPED SO MANY OTHERS improve THEIR casting skills.

I'll stick my neck out here: I doubt there is another living guide or casting instructor anywhere in the United States who has helped so many improve their casting and angling skills to such a high level.

I love Mike's video, but perhaps the more impressive and more telling video would be a collection of shots of Mike's many students making FISHING casts in challenging situations--even better if that video could show a then-and-now sequence!

Thanks, Mike. I am not the quick learner that so many of your other students are, but you helped me enjoy my time on the river beyond any reasonable expectation!

7. FT

FT Active Member

Mike,

Eventhough you are a bit "tech challenged", it is nice to see that you are getting to have this finally coming to fruition. I know you have tried for a "few years" to get someone to do it to no avail. I for one am glad you are finally getting some of the recognition you are so deserving of, even if some thing you are a bit grouchy.

The first time my youngest son met you a few years ago when he was a wee lad, he asked me if you were a "Mountain Man". Now he just thinks of you as Mike, the old guy.

8. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

:D

My lap top, a 'hand me down no less,' is so old you have to wind up a big spring to run the hard drive.:(

9. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    Im with ya Bert, as a sunday student of Mike's I am forever indebted to him for teaching me the art of casting the doublehand..... i enjoyed my start w/single hand rods but have fallen for the spey......"IF YOU LISTEN, THE LINE WILL SING"
    ode' to mk

bhudda

10. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

This seems like a good place to put this bit of exciting news:

Casting and Fishing the Two-Handed Rod
    with Mike Kinney, Sept. 10 and 12

Orvis Bellevue presents a very special limited two-day steelhead school with Mike Kinney, who many consider one of our finest steelhead flyfishers and certainly, one of the best two-handed instructors of our time.

Let's say you can cast a two-hander reasonably well but could use some casting tips. But how about delivering the fly? Do you set your casts up with aerial mends to present your fly correctly? What do you do when your fly is in the water? Do you make a big sweeping upstream mend and then simply stand there with your rod hanging limp at your side and pointing downstream? Can you make a cast that gets the fly fishing as soon as it lands? These and other questions will be answered both in the class and on the water by the Jedi Master himself.

This special class is limited to four people only and will cost $260 per person.

Leland Miyawaki
    Orvis Bellevue
    425-452-9138

11. fodf

fodf Team Umiak

All,

I had the distinct pleasure, and it was a pleasure, to spend Saturday morning with the Jedi Master as one of 2 students in his Intro to Spey Casting class in Monroe..yes I said one of 2. Imagine spending over 4 hours with Mike Kinney learning from the best, and at least an hour of that time was one on one because Jack had to bail early. Now understand that I had never cast a spey outfit before (brought my Echo Classic 7/8 gear, bought here on the forum (thanx Sam)), in fact I told Mike that I had only fly fished maybe 8 times in my life over a 30 year span. He said "great, no bad habits to break", and that's exactly why I did this early in my fly fishing life (albeit I'm an old bastard, like Mike) and there's so much more to fishing than catching..flame on for those that feel the need, I'm a big boy. The art of Mikes casting is, well, something to behold and so effortless. Not bad for a guy that didn't have the benefit of an instructor like himself..self taught, as he said, and he lives in my (our) backyard. I plan on practicing diligently so that I'm at least proficient enough to test cast other wares at the next clave that I attend and not look like a complete buffoon, although my Echo is just fine for now.

BTW, for those who say before you buy a rod or outfit you should cast what feels best for your style, remember, if you are a noob like me you don't have a style or know what feels right. That goes for line as well; I do understand that there is a direct relationship between rod and line (and style), but with no reference to begin with, I'll go with the recommendation of an expert like Mike (who cast my rod with a Delta 7/8 of his and said it felt a bit too heavy). I took a chance on the Echo and will start from there.

Now, a couple of shameless plugs. As Leland previously posted, Mike is teaching a class in association with Orvis. I understand it is now sold out. For those that are in, congrats..I wish I were one of you. For those that didn't make it, focus on the All About the Fly (awesome shop for those that have never been; I wish a shop in Yakima offered a rod building class on Saturdays..hint hint Reds and Garys) site (or Mikes site for that matter) for their calendar to see when Mikes next class is; money extremely well spent to learn from the best. And finally, the free clinic that Mike and the crew from AATF hold on Sunday mornings; sorry Mike I couldn't get there yesterday and test that Delta 6/7 you recommended. I'll call the shop tomorrow and order it.

I know this is long winded, and for that I apologize. I just wanted to let those who don't know Mike or know of Mike that he is the real deal. Excellent teacher, mentor, and hopefully in the future, friend. Thanx Mike.

Eric

12. mike kinney

mike kinney Member

Thank's Eric

13. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

I'd like to add just my .02 cents to this. Several years ago The Meiz had Mike down here on the Rogue for a 'hands on' of how to fish. I thought I knew a lot about where fish would sit, where to fish/run the fly/etc.

CHILD'S PLAY! I learned more in two days than Mike had probably forgotten. This Guy IS good! :ray1:

That said, he does need to trim his beard a bit more often.:D

fae

14. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

iagree Listening to him explain (as he throws line on four very different rods, tight loops in every direction) how each rod works and for what practicality...not only amazed me but humbled the hell out of me...I told my buds, it was like going to a John Holmes festival with a 1" dick ....Made me really appreciate what a spey rod can and will do when you've put your time into something other then lip service...

Also this wasn't just skagit lines which others only cast...Mike explained how in each circumstance you need to fit your tools to the job...The place he was doing the demo was frog water out about 80-100' then the current and slot picked up on the other side of the river...He said..."Fishing a spot like this makes the skagit not a good choice because of stripping etc. Took a long bellied line and layed it out with a tight ass loop to the other side, quick mend and I had no doubt that if a fly rested on the other end instead of yarn...A fish would have rose up to take it...Just perfect~~~

15. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    :D Yes Fred, I'm laughing along with you but I have a few comments anyway, as I'm damn tired of the subject of Mike Kinney's appearence:D

Will trimming his beard somehow make him a better caster? Would one learn more if he was a slicked up pretty boy?

In less one is planning on asking him out on a date the length of his beard, his hair, or anything else about his appearence shouldn't be anyone's concern.

What people should be concerned with is what he can do with a two hander and he is one of the best in the world. That is all that counts.

The people that are more concerned about how he looks as opposed to what he can do with a two hander are only thinking of themselves!

16. Manannan Mac Lir

Manannan Mac Lir Professional enabler

The Coach is absolutely right. Mike Kinney taught me to cast one rainy day on the Sauk a few years ago. I had hired him for a half day of instruction because I had read so much about him. He worked hard trying to help this thick wannabe spey caster GET IT. It did not work! I was just too thick! The half day spilled into a full day. He refused to let it be and just take the money. Finally, he decided to try something that will always blow me away.

With me standing facing the river, he stood facing me... had me hold the spey rod as though I was ready to cast... then he placed his grip just inside mine on the rod, said just follow me and proceeded to cast the rod backward, over his shoulder. I felt the rod load like it was supposed to. The line just shot out effortlessly. After a couple more "tandem" casts I had it! Unbelievable!

We were well into a Full day on the river. Mike refused to accept the price for a full day. He would not let me tip him. And I did try. He was awesome. I can't thank the man enough. I've fished some incredible water because of Mike's tenacity and his incredible ability to teach spey casting. My two cents. My hat's off to the Riverkeeper!

Cheers,

Karl

17. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Here's a shot of two of my favorite people, though we've never met in person..they continue to do nothing but bring joy to my spey casting experience...Sorry Mike (red) but I love this pic.

Mike and Bob...two other jedi masters!!!!:beer2:

18. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Looks like a couple refugees from Woodstock. There was something on the tube last week about Woodstock and I swear I saw the little fat one on the right in that news piece:eek:

19. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Believe or not but that picture was taken just a few months after Woodstock; the tragedy of drug abuse or was that from staying up all night tying steelhead flies.

20. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

An older version of ZZ Top?:D