The Spartan

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step / Video' started by GAT, Dec 29, 2012.

1. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,557 / 0
    [IMG]

I call this one The Spartan. It is based on a Hornberg but instead of using two mallard flank feathers on each side of the fly, I use one on the top.

You fish as you would any streamer and the larger trout at the private lake I fish prefer the pattern during the morning and the Fall when the mosquito fish are available.

Materials

Hook: Tiemco TMC 5262 or similar 3X long, heavy wire streamer hook, size 2-4
    Thread: Black 8/0 - 14/0
    Head: Small-medium size black cone head
    Body: Flat silver tinsel
    Underwing: Red and yellow dyed buck tail fibers, sparse
    Overwing: 1 mallard flank feather

Step 1:
    Slide on the cone head and attach the hook in the vise. Tie in a length of silver tinsel.

[IMG]

Step 2:
    Tightly wrap the tinsel to the rear of the shank, stop above the hook point, reverse direction and wind the tinsel back to the starting point. Trim away excess.

[IMG]

Step 3:
    Tie in a sparse number of red buck tail fibers. They should extend a little past the hook bend. Clip away butt ends.

[IMG]

Step 4:
    Tie in the same amount of yellow buck tail fibers so they extend the same as the red fibers. Clip away excess.

[IMG]

Step 5:
    This one is difficult to explain. You want pick a mallard feather that is in proportion to the pattern.
    Choose a feather with the stem running directly down the center so the fibers are equal on both sides.

[IMG]

Step 6:
    Tie in the feather over the buck tail so the fibers follow the hook shank. Clip away excess.

[IMG]

Step 7:
    Prepare a grizzly hen feather that is fairly long and webby. Tie in for the collar.

[IMG]

Step 8:
    Wrap the collar and whip finish.

[IMG]

With any luck, you'll end up with something like this:

[IMG]

The red and yellow buck tail fibers will give a hint of color under the mallard flank feather when the pattern is wet.

I hope the pattern works as well for you as it does me.

Go Fish!
    McNasty and Big_E like this.
  2. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Nice one Gene.

Can't stress enough the importance of step 5 and picking out a good, straight, well proportioned feather, and tying it straight down the shank, otherwise your fly won't sit right.
  3. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    This is true. You need to look at a number of feathers before you find one with the quill at the center of the fibers.

It also is important not to get carried away with the buck tail fibers... a little dab will do ya.
    Thus: Spartan.

I've also tied them with 4X long hooks but they don't seem to work any better than the shorter ones... so, to save on tinsel I use shorter shank hooks.. that tinsel stuff can get expensive! :D
  4. ScottP Active Member

Ratings: +803 / 0
    Gene,

What kinda tinsel are you using (lol)? Very nice fly; I like the Ducktail-like wing.

Regards,
    Scott
  5. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Scott, my silver tinsel is made from real silver. The only way I obtain the stuff is when a masked man on a white horse with a native american sidekick shows up.

"Who was that masked man?"
    "I don't know but he left a spool of silver tinsel."
  6. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +383 / 1
    thats a VERY cool streamer Gat, thank you for sharing. im tying some up in different colors right now.