The Squimp

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mark Mercer, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Thought I'd share this little fly with all of you, it has been one of the best producing flies I've tied for cutt's ever! The prototype started out a little shorter for streams and
    quickly out fished my old favorite, the Spruce fly and may others I would usually use. I was sure it would be great in the salt but it has been unbelievable and has been my best
    rezzie fly as well. I wanted a fly that was simple, easy to tie and had a lot of movement but still had the impression of something familiar and alive. I'm tying it in the original
    salmon pink marabou, but have had success with it in flesh pink(off white) and dark olive with and without beads. With the extended tail you have to check it every few casts for rapping around the hook, I tried adding stiffer material to it but it lost the movement I wanted. It's nothing too original but has become my go to saltwater fly. Hope you like it, it really does works!

Hook: Any short shank saltwater, size 6 or 8
    thread: Pink 6/0 uni thread.
    tail: Salmon pink marabou with sparse pink lite brite ( little longer then a bugger tail)
    eye's: GP tippets on pink and olive, lady amherst on flesh pink.
    body: New Age chenille "shell shock pink" or similar or light pink or white.
    collar: Shrimp pink saddle hackle (use the softer base feathers) or schlappen tips.

2. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Hi Mark,

Very nice fly. Have you tried adding bucktail in the tail as a core around which to tied the marabou? That might help with the fouling issues, albeit with some loss of motion. But clearly your pictures show that the fly, as you have tied it, is a success.

Steve

3. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    That looks like a solid pattern and some very nice fish to prove it! Thanks for sharing. I think I'll have to tie up a few for my next salt outing.

4. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    Mark another great fly from you
    perhaps we should do a NEO-Classic Sea run fly swap

nice photos
    have to tie up a few

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    It's been a killer Mark! I know! It should be in everyones' cutthroat box!

6. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Thanks Mark, I'll add it to my beach arsenal. Great pics of the fly on heavy cutthroat. I've been playing around with squid patterns lately but they all seem to come out too big when I'm done.... this fits the profile perfectly. Great fly.

7. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Retro-Neo-Classic-Historic. Damn, my head hurts. All I know is that is one beautiful fly. The truth is in the eating. Ask any of those Coastal Cutthroat.

Seriously Mark, that is one great fly. I really appreciate your sharing it. I know Steve has already tied about a dozen. I hope to catch up by tomorrow night.

8. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Oh boy! I'm gonna give these "Popsicle Stick Squimps" a try.

9. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Thanks Matt for the kind words, I've been tweaking it since last summer and this is just where it's at right now.

cabezon, I tried bucktail and super hair to stiffen it but it just lost to much movement, but thanks for the suggestion.

kelvin, you tie some awesome flies and inspire all of us. thanks

Steve and Steve, you guy's are keeping things interesting, it keeps all of us thinking about new ideas. I need to play around more with the top water thing like the two of you, biggest cutt I've caught was on a gurgler.

Larry, looks like a winning combo to me! It might take years before my squimp gets as many cutts under it's belt as your popsicle stick. Thanks buddy!

10. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    Larry those look like the gloves are coming off
    I shutter to think how many poor fish will be kicked up on the beach

11. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

Media:
    One thing I do sometimes to keep the wing/tail from fouling around the hook when casting is to add a short, fairly stiff piece of mono sticking straight back off the shank- it can't be seen and keep/tames the wing/tail- keeping it from wrapping it around the hook and fouling up...

12. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Media:
    Great looking bug Mark! Thanks for sharing!

13. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

Simple, effective and proven fly (by the photos). Thanks for the great fly. I am tying some for my box.

Dr Bob

14. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Mark, great looking tie and obviously works very well, congrats.
    We fish a similar fly here in the north sound and the Canal and is basically a version of the Knudsen Spider in white "Ghost Spider" with the longer marabou tail. We found the same in this pattern if the tail was too short or too stiff it was not as effective.

Just when you think you have it all.....looks like I have some more materials to buy.

15. boxcar

boxcar Scott Willison

I was going to suggest the same. I've found if you loop the mono and tie the short looped piece extending just beyond the hook bend beneath the tail it reduces fouling. Nice looking fly.

16. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    Mark are you palmering the Marabou
    or laying it in and them tying it down?

I find palmering it on steelhead flies keeps it from fowling

17. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Thanks again everyone for the good suggestions and comments, I appreciate them. I might experiment with the mono or mono loop thing, but I really don't mind checking my
    fly every few casts, I seem to hit the beach often enough on my back cast, so I need to check the hook point anyway.

kelvin, I agree palmered marabou has more life then just sticking down and tying it in and it might fowl less, I just don't remember, but I think it would be a little difficult on
    a small #6 or #8 short shank hook. Besides, it's so much easier to just cut the tip off and stick it on... and really, thats all this fly deserves, but thanks for the suggestion.

18. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    either way Mark GREAT fly thanks for sharing with us

19. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Thanks Ron, I was just reading Big E's post about having your patterns ripped off after posting them online, I don't think this fly is original enough to steal, but who knows?
    I hope nobody does. I was already informed that the name has already been used before so I looked online and found three other "squimps" but they are all bonefish flies.
    There is also a squimp in FF Pacific Salmon II that is also different but uses the name, I guess maybe a name change might be a good idea?

20. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Mark, your "Cutthroat Squimp" deserves to pirate the name. Nice work!